Fender Jazz Bass N3 Noiseless - NOISE!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bijoux, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I got these pick ups to replace the Noiseless that I had on my Jazz bass. Turns out the bridge pick up is super noisy.
    I figured something is wrong with it because the neck pick up is very quiet.
    I tried these pick ups with 3 active preamps, and the passive control plate on my Jazz bass. i switched neck and bridge pick ups to make sure it was not the preamps. Turns out the bridge pick ups was always noisy.

anybody had trouble with these?

I contacted Fender and they weren't very helpful. I have to take the pick ups to an authorized Fender repair guy and go from there.

Shouldn't I be able to just send them back and have them replaced?

I think other companies would just have me do that without any problems.

2. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    This noise issue has been so frustrating that I'm ready to start over...

any recommendations for a JB pick up set and preamp with volume-blend-lows-highs, ?

Thanks in advance.

3. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Grounding? Shielding?

What happens when you solo the bridge? Does it get louder the closer you get to your amp?

As for recommendations, I put Dimarzio Model J pups in all of my jazz basses.

4. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Yes, i took care of that.

when I solo the bridge it gets really noisy, and also when I get closer to the amp. when I sol the neck pick up it's super quiet.
    could it be there is something wrong with the bridge pick up itself?
    because I also switched both pick ups connection on the blend pot and the bridge is still noisy.

5. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I had an American Deluxe Jazz V with these pickups and I had a lot of noise too. I had Fender replace the pickups and still had noise. So much noise that I had to be gated by the sound guy. It was frustrating. I loved the bass, but sold it versus going the route of replacing the pickups and electronics. I understand the new American Elite series has been designed to fix the noise issue.

6. Fat bob

Fat bob

Jan 14, 2013
    Denver
    Hey Bijoux, Iam curious to know if you've found a solution to the buzz. Ive got the same problems with the n3 bridge pickup in my fender deluxe v. First I thought it was old wiring in different places, but I had the bass cavity shielded and still get a bad buzz when soloed. It was a pleasure seeing you play sat at 5 points w Brad Goode.

7. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA

Thank you!
    The Jazz bass I had the problem with the buzz was not the one I had at that gig. The N3's are not bad after all. I installed a EMG preamp with 2 bands boost/cut (bass,treble) I did shield the bass with copper tape just to play it safe and the bass now is super quiet even when pick ups are soloed. I still think those pick ups don't have a lot of output signal.
    I have 2 jazz Basses with active EMG's and yet another Jazz Bass with active EMG JVX which I played at the concert.
    I am really enjoying the EMGs. They are super quiet, extremely easy to install, they have a ton of output signal. They sound great with just the standard tone control, and also sound great if you wanna add any boost/cut knobs. And they are super reliable.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021