1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz Bass neck radius-what am I looking for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whthouse, Sep 26, 2008.

1. whthouse

whthouse

Aug 9, 2008
    I currently play a 1996 Made in Japan Fender Jazz '75 Reissue. The neck is slim and "shallow" for lack of a better term. The reason I say "shallow" is that I used to have a Aerodyne bass with a "C" shape neck and 7.25" radius neck and it felt thick or "chunky" to me compared to the '75 reissue. I can only guess that they have different radius'. I'm looking for additional basses with the same neck "thickness" as my beloved '75 Reissue but don't know what to look for. Does anyone know what the radius is on a '75 Reissue and is it indeed the radius that determines the "thickness" of the neck?

2. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Radius and thickness are very different things. Check this from Ibanez website:
    [​IMG]
    "c" is thickness at first fret, "d" is thickness at 12th. AFAIK CIJ 75 RI has 7.25" radius.

3. whthouse

whthouse

Aug 9, 2008
    That's good info, thanks basadam! Now I'm back to square one on why some Jazz Bass necks are thicker at the first fret than others. The Aerodyne was described as a "C" neck, but I think I read something where the '75 Reissue also had a "C" style neck. Judging from this, there are different "thickness" "C" style necks?

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Radius refers to the curvature of the fingerboard. Some luthiers will use the term profile to describe the width of the neck at he heel and the rate of taper to the nut and te depth of the neck at the heel, 12th fret and nut.

You can have a neck 'shot' - have it's measurements take so that it can be reproduced. Part of the joy of your bass is the neck binding and the super low frets though ... If I were going to have my neck reproduced, I would use Tommy at USA Custom Guitars ... he's the man when it comes to that sort of thing.

I have an early 90's 75 RI J, MIJ - it's my #1 and going no where ... It's one of the best feeling basses I've ever played... I have late 80's MIJ 62 RI inbound in trade for an 87 MIJ 62 RI P - The P was a great player but a little big for me. If the J is as good. I'll be happier than pig in the substance ...

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You'll probably want to look for a MIJ/CIJ 62RI Jazz then.
    When Fender Japan came up with their version of the 75RI, they used the specs they were already using for the 62RI.

6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    AFAIK, Fender uses the alpha (A, B, or C) to denote the width at the nut. That's what's confusing to me about your info: a C neck is 1 3/4" wide, typical of '60's P-basses, a B neck is 1 5/8" wide, typical of some '50's, '70's, and modern P-basses; and A necks are 1 1/2" wide, typical of jazz basses. Any of these widths can come in a variety of thicknesses and profiles, and at least in the old days of hand-finished necks, they did. 60's Fenders had 7 1/4" radii.

Of course, as Mr. Johnson says, I could be wrong!

7. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I like a thicker front to back jazz neck.

8. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh!

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    MAJOR zombie post ... but I have to add to this because I've posted maybe 100 times about trying to find a good neck to match the one on my '96 75RI and I'm sure I'm not alone.

So, the '62RI is an option (I've got a bead on one in RI, if the guy can come down in price). I also played a bunch of basses at Chicago Music Exchange last weekend while I was in town for work, and the Classic Series 60's MIM J also felt identical to the '75RI from Japan.

9. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I think a Geddy is copy of a '75RI, right?

10. tdizzle

tdizzle

Aug 3, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    No. The Geddy has a 9" radius, as oppossed to the 7.25 on the 75RI. I would suggest a Road Worn Jazz. They have a thinner profile from front to back and a 7.25" radius.

11. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    I'll second that based mostly on hearsay. I've seen a handful of comments like, "wow, the Geddy Jazz is the thinnest neck I've ever seen!" on this site. Whereas the MIJ '75RI is always described as "chunky."

I also tried an AVRI 75, and the neck was much thinner than my '75 or the Classic Series 60's. So if it's chunk you're after, there are a few of your options.

12. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Also, I just took a measurement: the nut on my '75 is less than 1.5"! Daaaaaaayum. I mean, it's like 1.35 or 1.4, but still, that was a surprise.

13. headband

headband Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lake Havasu City
    The jazz road worn neck is one of the best out there. I have three great jazz basses:
    '69 jazz - blocks and binding
    '64 NOS Custom shop (2011 manufacture)
    2011 Road worn jazz - Fiesta Red.

The 64 and road worn have the smaller frets. '69 has the larger, more modern frets. The road worn and 69 necks have the same feel (thickness, profile, etc.)
    The 64 neck is a little different, very thin front to back. Less of a C profile, not sure what I would call it. All three have the same 7.5" radius.