1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz bass or Ibanez Soundgear?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by notrly1337, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Fender MIM Jazz Bass V

49 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. Ibanez SR535

58 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. notrly1337

notrly1337

Oct 10, 2010
    Philippines
    I have trouble deciding due to the location I am in, no good music stores. Anyways, I need your help deciding which 5 string bass I should get next, I have limited budget. Like $800.

Help me pick!

Btw, just to help in deciding, I like versatility, I like to play anything from metal to jazz.
    I'm skinny and have smaller hands
    I like brown and white.

Fender Standard Jazz Bass V (Five String)

-like 20 frets only
    -Can change pickguard color (haha)
    -Fatter neck?
    -Its MIM, so quality varies?
    -passive pickup

6inicon9650thFender5JazzBassBody.gif

Ibanez SR535/SR755

-24 frets
    -thinner neck (for my smaller hands)
    -nice white color?
    -lightweight
    -heard it gives clanky metallic sound when slapped and plucked hard?
    -uses bartolini pickup. very versatile bass, look at the 5 knobs and mid frequency switch (well in the 2010 model).

2881947569_929ff08223.jpg

SO help me decide, any opinions on both will be nice. unless u want to suggest another bass, but i probably wont listen. I have my personal preferences too. come on, G&L tribute basses are nice but little too heavy for me. thanks.

2. I would go Fender !! (No battery bs, IMOHO)

3. I really like my Jazz V. I think the only negative would be low pickup output. 99% of the basses I have used were active. Tone wise its versatile and as warm as they get. If you don't like it, it would probably be a lot easier to sell/trade than the Ibanez.

4. ihs0y

ihs0y

Oct 4, 2010
    Malaysia
    i voted ibanez. versatility!

5. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    Ibanez!!! It does not look like a regurgitation of the same...and versatility.

6. notrly1337

notrly1337

Oct 10, 2010
    Philippines
    i had to look regurgitation up. :D

7. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    They have that same white Ibanez in the Manchester CT. gui**** center..on clearance.
    Its like $500 now.Needs a setup though.

8. notrly1337

notrly1337

Oct 10, 2010
    Philippines
    probably used?

9. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Inactive

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    If you could get one for free but you have to decide in 5 seconds, which one would you choose?

That's the one you want.

10. notrly1337

notrly1337

Oct 10, 2010
    Philippines
    GOOD QUESTION!

id get the sr535. then hide it and buy the fender jazz bass. so does that mean deep inside my heart i want the sr535? i mean everyone here has a p/j bass anyways. i could be unique

11. As an owner of both a MIM Jazz V and handful of SR's id say go for the Ibanez. It is a bit more versatile due to the active pickups and electronics. And yes if you crank the middle and trebble up you will get the clanky sound when you slap and pop and pluck the strings.

12. OllieBee

OllieBee

Oct 9, 2010
    DC Metro
    I voted Ibanez because it looks cooler... and I have to say, I love the craftsmanship that goes into Ibanez' stuff, even their starter models. The cheapest Ibanez, IMO, is better than the cheapest MIM Fender.

13. notrly1337

notrly1337

Oct 10, 2010
    Philippines
    aww, ive heard about that sound and i dont know what it sounds like. maybe changing strings will do.

14. I love my Jazz V. It's an '02 and I got it used for $300. It is also my first and only fiver and I moved to it quite naturally from a four string jazz bass. I looked at Ibanez too but I personally just liked the Fender more. It's a matter personal preference. Play them both at store and then look for a used one of your choice and save your self a couple hundred.

15. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I like the Ibanez.

16. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Lake Placid, FL
    With small hands the closer spacing and thinner neck of the Ibanez would probably be more comfortable. I don't think versatility is an issue, there are few bases that can cover as wide a range of tone as a Jazz.

I'd have to say, you need to play them both, and get whichever "talks" to you.

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  18. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
  19. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I don't like Ibanez but I don't like MIMs even more than I don't like Ibanez.

If it was an MIA though...