Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ckonthe1, Jul 30, 2001.

1. ckonthe1

ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    I'm looking for some Fender Jazz replacement pickups. Any thoughts on
    some good ones?

2. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    I just got some DiMarzio DP123's and I'm going to install them today. The price was definitely right from Musician's Friend and they got decent reviews in Bass Player magazine's J-pup shoot-out. Check it out at their website. You should be able to get a good idea of something from there, just make sure you have an idea of what type of sound you're shooting for with some replacement pup's.

3. Dimarzio DP123's rock!

I liked them so much, I bought a second old Squier Jazz and put the DP123's in it too. Cream or Black. Humbucking even when only running one pickup, can't beat that.

Chris

[​IMG]

4. ckonthe1

ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    thanks fellas!
    I'm gonna check into those tomorrow!

5. biscuit

biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    I just replaced the pickups in my American Jazz bass. I choose EMG pickups for their quick attack (very punchy), extended frequency response, and versatility (esp. if you add EMG's EQ circuits). Most of the studio bassists I have read about use EMG pickups the same reasons. I have not been disappointed in these pickups.

The DiMarzio DP123 pickups sound fat and warm. They are very traditional sounding but not very flexible because the high-end is rolled off. If you slap at all, then these pickups are not for you. If you need to cut through lots of guitar or keyboard, then these pickups are not for you. If you just need to fill up a lot of bottom end and are only going to be a support player, then these pickups would be great. It really depends on what type of playing you are going to be doing.

I hope this helps.

6. ckonthe1

ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    That does help a lot! Thanks! I don't play my Fender a lot, but when I do, I need it to sound
    great! I slap a little bit, but I live in the same town as Vic Wooten, Keith Horne, John Billings
    and Paul Chapman....soooooo, I try not to slap in PUBLIC! HAHAH!!!
    I have a buddy that has EMG's in his Jazz bass. It sounds great! From your assesment, the
    DiMarzio's might be the way to go for me. I'll do some more homework though.
    Thanks a bunch guys!