1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass Plus Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Apr 21, 2010.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

A local guy has one of these for sale. Black, factory fretless, some where, dates to 1994. I'm gonna try and play it, but he's asking $200 OBO for the bass, Epiphone amp, cable and stand, which seems like a super amazing steal for a MIA Fender.

Here's a link to a pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwblanch/4536248604/in/set-72157623767631977/

What can I expect as far as quality, besides the obvious wear and tear? Will it stand up to my CIJ Capri Orange P? The only factory fretless bass I've played previously is a VM Squier, so I'm guessing the fingerboard will be at least that good (which was pretty good).

What's the neck profile like? How about the electronics?

Sadly, even if it's great, I don't have any bass funds, so I probably won't be buying it.

2. brandtb

brandtb

Aug 27, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a '90 J+ (fretted). It's a very good bass and if you can scratch up the $200 you will have a Real Bargain.

The electronics are good. The neck on mine is thin and fast -- don't have much reason to believe that the fretless will have a much different profile as the neck profile is one of the differentiating things about the J+ line.

Good luck.

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    That one is pretty heavily modified. Still, I'd get it for $200; that's a good deal.