1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz Bass Plus V - P/U, pre-amp swap advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by whacker, Apr 1, 2006.

1. I've got an early '90s Fender Jazz Plus V, and it's a nicely built instrument. However, I've never like its sound, or its playing response, so I'd like to use it to experiment on.

I'm aware that Fender J pickups (and those from various manufacturers) can have some different dimensions from the neck to bridge unit, with the neck p/u being a little narrower than the bridge.

Does anyone know (without me yet measuring the actual dimensions) if this bass has same size, or different size pickups, and if I were to want to put current generation Fender Noiseless units in, would they both fit? Also, what p/u makers have the units available in sizes that would fit.

Another thing: Does anyone have an opinion whether the pickups or the pre-amp would be a better bet to replace on this bass? I'm toying with the idea to try and hook up the pickups with a jumper, bypassing the pre-amp, just to see if I like the sound better (they're the Fender/Lace Sensors), and the pre-amp is the one similar to the Kubicki offered around the same time, although I don't know if it's the same.

This issue may be something that is a known been there/done that kind of thing, which is why I'm asking. I'd just like to get a more "Fender Jazz-ish" kind of tone out of it.

Thanks for any advice.