fender jazz bass problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pools, Dec 5, 2004.

1. pools

Feb 28, 2004
    i have a problem with the E string of fender jazz bass .
    when i slap it sound awfull compared to the other strings.
    trying to explain i can hear a big thonk of my thumb and only a small note. is it possible to solve this problem?
    is problem of set up..pick up or what ?
    please help me i really like the sound in fingering but in slap!!!
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    There are possibly a few reasons for this,
    1) badly setup bass and the E string too low to fret board touching pup upon slap.
    2) pup height may need correction, Front pup may be too high.
    3) Slap technique may suck, in that case practice, practice, practice

try this, look at the clearence between your E string and the pup, slap the E with your thumb (while looking at pup) and see if the string is hitting the pup. If all looks ok you can try to put a peice of tape over the front pup and see if it goes away.

It sounds like a setup problem to me.
  3. Technique: Bounce off the string with your thumb. All too often, slapping beginners keep their thumb on the string after the slap. This mutes the string and prevents it from ringing. Either bounce your thumb off, or go through in a fluid motion. Remember to slap over the last few frets of the board, and not over the pickups or near the bridge. Either way, practice.

Setup: Try changing the strings if you can. You might have a light gauge string which buzzes too much on the slap, or even a heavy gauge string that you can't hit hard enough yet. Make sure there is good string height, because too high makes it harder to slap, and too low can cause awful buzzing. Check pickup heights to make sure they aren't getting in the way.
  4. KYJazzy

KYJazzy Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    In a totally related problem:

My A string sounds horrible when pulled downward (as if strumming with the thumb). Pulled upward (fingerstyle) it sounds great, but if I slap or thumb the string, I get this atrocious tinny buzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It sounds as if the string is rubbing against the first fret where it sits quite low. If I place my thumb over the string where it sits on the nut, the buzz is gone.

5. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

probably that common fender problem (particularly in jazzes) where the string doesn't sit in the nut right. you can have it filled and re-slotted for relatively cheap. or have an extra string tree installed.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Before you start messin with nuts try this,
    restring your bass, when you put the string into the post make sure as you tighten the string it goes under the string in the post, this way the string will go down the post thus making a break angle after the nut. when you are done the part leaving the post should be on the bottom and the string should be angled down, this will stop the buzzing (rattling) you are getting.
  7. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    The other posts suggest some good things. Here are a couple of additional things to try: Turn the bass over and make sure neck screws are tight. All Fender basses I own periodically need this. Also check the bridge screws. These also may need tightening. Loose neck and bridge joints will cause these problems.

Another thing to watch for is pickup hight. If the pickup is too close to the string, the magnetic field emitted by the pickup can actually interfere with string vibration.

Finally, if all else fails your problem can be related to fender truss rods. In their design, the prime suspect for dead notes is the truss rod and it's lengthwise compression of the neck.

You can try using a replacement neck with a better truss rod system. Warmoth guitar makes very stable replacement bass necks. www.warmothguitar.com