Fender Jazz Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frsbdg, Jan 21, 2016.

1. frsbdg

frsbdg

Jan 4, 2015
    Anchorage, AK
    I tried searching for this already, but am not even sure what the correct term is for this part. I'm curious to know why the "plate" under the knobs of a Fender Jazz Bass is always chrome, and not just an extension of the pick guard (similar to the Precision Bass). That two-tone look is just strange, in my opinion. Can that piece be swapped out to match the pick guard?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yes, you can replace it with plastic, but you would lose the grounding / shielding benefits, so if you do it, make sure there's a conductive foil liner on the backside of the plastic, or you'll be buzzing more.

frsbdg likes this.
  3. Solar

Solar

Jun 8, 2015
    Michigan
    Some older basses did only have the one-piece. I know the Mark Hoppus Bass does. Once you see the one-piece, I think you'll like the chrome a lot better.

frsbdg likes this.
  4. Bergerman

Bergerman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Creswell, OR
    Originally it might have been metal to help shield the control cavity. Fender did make some Jazzes with a one-piece pickguard just like you ask about as well. You can swap out the plate with anything you like, as long as it's still grounded and shielded properly...

frsbdg likes this.
  5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    880091[1].png Fender Modern Player short scale (30") Jazz bass follows Mark Hoppus signature offerings.

Cheers,
    Wallace

LesterS and frsbdg like this.
  6. frsbdg

frsbdg

Jan 4, 2015
    Anchorage, AK
    So it's functional. Thanks for the info!

7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It's also easier to ditz around with the tone stack since you don't have to remove the entire pickguard to get into the control cavity.

If you like to tinker or experiment, that could be a real plus. Especially since wood screws can only be removed and reseated so many times before you have to replug the holes they're going into.

8. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    if you have ever seen the broken plastic around the output jack around a Precision bass you will see why. Leo intended the jazz to be an "upgrade" to the Precision and he probably had seem some broken pickguards by then by guys yanking on or stepping on the patch cords and stressing out that area. Also shielding as has been mentioned. Jim

Glazenn likes this.
  9. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    static0verdrive likes this.
  10. Exactly, meaning strings and all... unless swapping pickups you can take care of a lot of business easily with the control plate separate. Also, on any without a PG (for example the Jaco-style ones including my Squier fretless VM) it hides the only otherwise-visible routing. I found a cheap black powder-coated control plate and it gave my VM a pretty cool look. Not so different, just a little cooler :)

40Hz likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021