1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz Bass Special 1985 (Japan) Hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by moransi, Sep 24, 2017.

1. moransi

moransi

Mar 31, 2011
    hi there

i have recently purchased the bass mentioned above ....
    someone replaced the bridge and tuning pegs which originally was Black to a silver/chrome.
    I would like to restore it to her glory days to all black.
    I have ordered a Gotoh black bridge (I kind of like it...) but have no idea about the tuning pegs hole sizes or what should fit

any info would be great, tried googling it but i guess it takes one to know one

thank you MIJ 2.JPG MIJ 1.JPG

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I would look at the Hipshot HB2 with a d-tuner for the E string.

3. moransi

moransi

Mar 31, 2011
    thanks looked at hipshots, quite expensive ...
    jut need to figure out if the holes match
    seen Wilkinson as well , dont know them , any info ?

4. If you replace the tuners, you might have a bunch of exposed holes from the tuners that are on there now. Don't know much about your bass, but Japanese tuner base plates are usually smaller and have different screw holes.

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If none of the following fit, Schallers might but I doubt it; as good as they are, many overlook Schallers.
    Here is the site for Gotoh, they have several different machines it could be so I didn't copy the spec sheets, You can click on any tuner and the spec drawing is down the page.
    Here is dimensions for Wilkinsons
    wjbl_200.

moransi likes this.
  6. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yeah, the Hipshots are a bit spendy, but are very nice - I bought some of the Wilkinsons off ebay, and they were so crappy I decided not to use them and bought the Hipshots anyways... Here's some pics of them on my JBS:

The Hipshots were a direct fit, and have worked out great - I purposely bought the lollipops because that's what I wanted... If you browse ebay a bit, you can find some deals on the regular tuners for your bass...

moransi likes this.
  7. moransi

moransi

Mar 31, 2011
    Thank you very much
    as I was on my cheap side I ordered the Wilkinsons.... I hope they're alright .... by the way was your wilkinsons a direct fit ?

8. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    They appeared to be, but the Wilkinsons were so crappy I refused to put them on my bass - I hope yours are more to your liking, because mine were a total waste of money...

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Cool bass! If those don't work out, post pics with one of the tuners removed. It would be much easier to make recommendations if the holes are exposed. That way we can tell if the second set of tuners involved mods or not.

10. Beautiful bass! I own/play one that is similar but had the gold hardware. Be sure to post pics when she's all done.

11. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    I recently put Wilkinson's on my Squier VM Pbass- they seem very nice, although a little stiff on turning, but worth the price I paid for them.