1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass Special - Circa 1984-87

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bullitt5135, Nov 28, 2010.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    There is this one on Reverb, but that crack frightens me
    2EA3B741-0085-4C2A-A050-5CDE6F497ED8.png

2. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Yea I've seen that one. For that price in that condition is a big no-no. Although the headstock is nicely preserved. If the neck would be the jazz wit the 1.5" nut I'd pull the trigger if the body would be a little cleaner. Not perfect just better. But like this, no thanks. :D

3. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I can’t tell if it’s just a finish crack.

4. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

I believe it's just the finish but right, it's hard to tell. But $900 is still high imo.
    For that price you'd expect one in very good or in near excellent condition with minor flaws.

5. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I don’t know. You see the other prices on Reverb?
    Like I’m not sure if reverb is just a place where you ask an outrageous price, and it’s just expected that someone else is going to counter offer you?

6. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Well, what reverb is charging is ridiculous. Not the selling fee, that's well...ok. But their transaction fee and the selling fee together what bumping up the prices. Every seller add the expected seller fees to the price. When I'm on the hunt for something I'm using craigslist and facebook marketpalce. I just scored a dead mint JBS for $650 on facebook. Another for about the same price last year in really good condition. Honestly I don't care what people are asking on reverb. It's just insane. I've seen Kramer Forum I for $1200 and Spector NS2A's for about the same price. No kidding I bought them for half of this price. And during the last year not years ago when prices were low. The only bad impact of reverb when people see how much some ppl are asking for something they have and they try to sell it for the same price outside reverb...

7. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I have a question for everybody. What is the difference between the 1987 version and the previous years, besides the black neck and the truss rod being on the headstock?

8. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

- 1984-1986: E5 to E60 + A series had 41mm Precision necks with neck heel truss rod adjustment
    - 1986-1987: E61+ has 38mm MIJ jazz necks with headstock truss rod adjustment
    After E61 there were natural and gloss black necks with headstock truss rod adjustment and 38mm nut but no more 41 mm. The gloss black 38 mm necks were most likely a transition between the 41mm gloss black and the 38mm natural neck in 1986. Probably those were the earliest 38 mm versions.

johnnyplaysbass likes this.
  9. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    The electronics are all the same though?

a clean pearl 87 is on par for same asking price as a pearl 84-86?

10. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Yea, the electronics are all the same. Pickups too but I'm not entirely sure about the last production year. Every Jazz Bass Special should have the boxer pickups with larger pole pieces although one I have has regular pole pickups. I've seen some late '87 with it but not sure if someone has replaced them or stock pickups.
    All of them should priced about the same however black necks are more desirable and were more expensive years ago than the natural necks. Today It's the same since everything is skyrocketing. Personally black or natural I'd pay more for the 38mm neck than the P neck. These Jazz necks are just perfect.

11. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    So you’d prefer the unpainted neck?

12. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

No, I prefer the painted 38 mm Jazz neck. But I'd still chose the unpainted neck over the 41mm black neck.

13. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Any thoughts?
    3C8089C0-9FB8-45F4-BFE9-968F494D77BE.jpeg

r_bnks likes this.
  14. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Now this one looks like mint enough lol. Natural or black, these necks are the best.
    Definitely '87. Not because of the serial. It can be E9xxx too but still '87. The natural necks were most likely made after '86.

15. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Dude, it’s a decent price, it has ALL original hardware, plus extra Leo Quann bridge, and he’s giving me a choice on case, whether I want a rectangle Fender case, or those more form fitting ones they used.
    6E18CFA7-9BF4-46D9-A453-FD6294ADA98F.png

r_bnks likes this.
  16. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

That's sweet. Is he asking that much? This bass is perfect.
    I was stupid enough to sell one of these large pole pups. I'd give an arm and a leg for it. So hard to find it without the bass.

17. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    he wants $1k, we split shipping.

18. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    So yeah, is it a steal? No. Is it pretty clean, compared to the trash I’ve seen in Reverb? Oh yeah.

r_bnks likes this.
  19. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Oh yea not a steal for sure. But these days when prices are so high and I'd really need one I'd think about it only because of it's condition. $900 would be much better for sure and reasonable. Like you said just compare it with some trash on reverb.

20. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Those would be my fav 2 black basses as well. I love how completely blacked out the JBS is!

r_bnks likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021