Fender Jazz Bass Special - Circa 1984-87

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bullitt5135, Nov 28, 2010.

1. synecdoche

synecdoche

Feb 12, 2009
    Are they standard Fender J and P pickups, or is there something unique about the JBS ones?

2. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

The JBS pickups are completely different and unfortunately you can't buy them as a spare. Those are came with large pole pieces so they are much hotter and beefier than a regular pickup.

bassgod76 likes this.
  3. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    inb4 dead strings

4. Why the 84 to 87 time frame for this forum? I'm guessing there was a design feature during that era of the Fender P/J bass. If so, what is it?

5. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    Most iconic timeframe probably. This particular PJ bass was part of the Boxer series that ran from 84 to 87. During that timeframe, it came with the hot rod pickups which had large pole pieces and a black painted neck. They also came with a finish that yellowed significantly over time, which made some colors look cooler.
    Post '87 they stopped exporting them, changed some features on it, and made some "derivatives" that couldn't hold a candle to the Boxer ones (I'm looking at you, PJ-36).

To put in short.

Vic Firth likes this.
  6. So it's all about the Boxer series. Thanks for that guess.
    I'm assuming the JBS and maybe the Power JBS were models within the Boxer series that continued after the end of the Boxer series in 87.
    I acquired an 89 JBS w/a G&L split coil p/u (not sure about the J p/u). Sounds great to my ears but I never heard the sound of the original. A quick internet search yielded nothing useful about potential changes in pickups in the JBS after 87 (but a lot of p/u replacement options) but I did find great praise for reissue MIJ (Fugi factory 1982-1992) series guitars.

7. The E series JBS is 84-87. *This is not stratocaster numbering* - E8 and E9 is still a 1987 guitar. It’s purely sequential and dating the guitar is done within the actual production time frame. E and the first number has nothing to do with year. The later non JBS guitars have a different letter preceding the numbers. No E, not an original JBS.
    Earlier models in the E series have a black painted neck. This is totally irrelevant to the guitar quality despite google ranking one page highly that makes this claim. *These are not stratocasters.* They all have the same black hardware, black painted headstock, 3 “F knobs”, a toggle switch, TBX tone, side jack, and large pole pickups. I have never seen a small pole pickup original E series.

There is a current reissue available.
    Fender Musical Instruments - Boxer Series PJ Bass with Rosewood Fingerboard - Torino Red
    $1800 Canadian out the door.

8. Mine is an E9, natural neck, with small poles! I replaced them with Model P/J though.

stefancaunter likes this.
  9. cool, so they switched to them at some point in the sequence. mine are E8 with large poles (a fretless and a fretted)

10. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

One of my JBS is also came with natural neck and smole pole pickups. E9

11. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    Eeeeeh not quite accurate. You're forgetting the japanese domestic market ones, which start with A, B and C (possibly F). Mine is an A serial for example. The E-serial was meant for export. Past '87 they stopped exporting JBS (and stopped the Boxer series), but still made some for the japanese domestic market for some time. Cream City Music had one in their shop with an H serial, dating it to '88-'89: 1989 Fender Jazz Bass Special Pewter

The non-JBS you are referring to I guess, are the PJ-36 and PJ-455, both labeled Jazz Bass Special without having the TBX pot.

Later half of '87.

12. got it. E for export! thx

13. Matt sroka

Matt sroka

Feb 25, 2016
    1625142033886-1222299409.jpg 1625142033886-1222299409.jpg Has anybody have any info on one of these ? MIJ E940201

14. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    Hi there. It's a PJR-65. Lace sensor active pick-ups, 32" scale. Fujigen made so high quality instrument.

Edit: pic for reference
    fSP7pbax0crNElPHjZQcHXAG0c5HBNvI.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  15. Matt sroka

Matt sroka

Feb 25, 2016
    Thank you very much !! I been looking everywhere trying to find one of these to find out what model number it is. I have not seen any anywhere.

16. TangoMac

TangoMac

Jan 3, 2021
    Hi, does anyone have any info on why the tuning keys on these are not the "standard" Fender ones? I have an 84 MIJ Jazz with the same tuning keys as these and have often wondered, especially after seeing some in this thread with the standard ones

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021