1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz bass Special pream switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MPU, Sep 17, 2017.

1. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I found this schematic.

IMG_0545.

I'm planning to make this preamp for my Kubicki-inspired bass. I dont want to use rotary switch for the switch. What kind of a switch could I use instead?

2. DP3T mini toggle.

3. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Thanks. Now I have to figure how to wire it. I just finished making the layout.

$_1.

So do I wire so that a1, a2, a3 are A1, A0, A2 and b1, b2, b3 are B1, B0, B2 on this switch? Or how?
    Marko

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  4. An on-on-on toggle switch doesn't work like a rotary switch. If you don't want a rotary, I guess you could use a DP3T slide switch. (That stands for "double pole, three-throw". You may also find one listed as "2P3T".)

Hmm... Where did you find this schematic, Marco? I'm not sure that switch is correct anyway... It's a low-Q sweep notch, right? I think that pot should be a reverse log one too... Just thinking out loud here... That schematic isn't drawn in a traditional way, and it's hard to think it through. Is it a complete preamp, or part of a bigger circuit?

5. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Yes, but both poles are disconnected in the middle position. Couldn't he use a "center off" DPDT toggle switch?

6. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I found this schematic here
    Active "Power Jazz Bass Special" (Fender)
    There’s also this Kubicki schematic which isn’t verified
    Kubicki Ex Factor Bass

7. Pilbara Bass hangs out at ozbassforum. You could try a pm over there. Maybe he traced the circuit himself...?

On first glance, the Kubiki schematic looks like it was drawn by some one a little more experienced. It has more of a conventional layout. But honestly, if you are going to try schematics from the web, you really should learn to use spice software. It will save you a lot of hassle. Besides, even experienced engineers make mistakes with schematics.

I remember the x-factor basses back in the 90's. They had a great sound that's for sure. But don't ask me what's going on with that switching! I think the pickups had a coil taps and stuff. Then there's that 3.7H inductor....

8. That is NOT a DP3T switch. That diagram shows a SP3T switch. What you want is a switch that has twelve terminals, and is equivalent to two of those switches put together. Physically, it's like a 4PDT On/On/On, but external jumpering will reconfigure it to DP3T.

I have a diagram for this on my Flickr page. I'll post it when I get a chance.

9. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I Googled Spice. My God, my head hurts just by looking at those sites. I don't understand a thing. I have to give Spice another try when I have more time.