1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zalle, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Zalle

Zalle

Jul 24, 2005
    Sweden
    Im looking for a Fender Jazz Bass Special, a black one, Fender made those during the 80`s, and I wonder if there is someone who knows if there are some of those basses out inte stores, or if maybe someone here at talkbass has one and maybe has one for sale ?

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    UK
    Ebay usually throws up a good few. I am in the UK and picked up a red Power Jazz Bass Special (the active 22 fret version)from the US last year via ebay. I had about 4 to choose from back then. Just keep an eye out.. good luck!! DId anyone see the sexy seafoam green one? yummeh!!

Mine? I love it love it love it! Not bad for 17 years old.. a few dings, but a really great bass.

3. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  4. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I had one for years, and although it was my primary back up when playing, if and when I broke a string, it was always ready, and felt so good to put on and play. I sold it about a year ago as it was beat to hell, and I really needed cash at the time.
    I may have to look for one on ebay soon myself.

5. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
  6. Zalle

Zalle

Jul 24, 2005
    Sweden
    Thanks guys! I live in Sweden, so I just have to find some solution for shipping to Europe, some of those at E-bay dont want to ship outside USA, but as it seems its a two - four items of the jazz special on ebay, so I will try to arrange something.

Yes, It seems to be a great bass, wouldnt it be just at its place for Fender to start to produce them again ?

Regards,
    Zalle

7. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    UK
    Its always good to ask.. mine was actually from a 'US only' auction!

8. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I picked up one of these last night on ebay for $200, should have it in about a week. It's much like my old one - but a bit beat up. I'm thinking of doing a refinish on it at some point, and I know I'll put a bad ass II on it. I'll post some images when I get it.

9. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    UK
    lol, Yes I keep threatening to do the same to mine... maybe get a flip/switch paint finish like my other bass.. oh, and the obligatory Badass.. maybe some different pups too.

10. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    So I got the poor thing last week. This bass is beat up. The paint is chipping in places on the body, and it looks like someone did a quick once over on the neck to keep the paint from chipping near the fingerboard. I may strip it and refinish it, but since I've never done something like that, I will probably not think about it for sometime. I do think that the bass would be happier, however.

the rust I did not like. I don't know if this bass had been kept in a case - ever! The machinehead screws all are rusted, as are the pickup screws, and the control knob pots. I chipped alot of the rust on the pots away, and threw on a used Hipshot A bridge. The body has - what looks like rust stains on it, but didn't come out with any polish. Maybe I'll take some orange oil to it.

As beat up as this bass is, it plays great! The EMG's still sound fine. I also put on some new knobs. The old ones were litterally "rusted-on".

I think I'll look for one that isn't so beat up as this bass feels alot like my old one. I see them on ebay all the time, so next time my wallet is feeling heavy...

11. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. That's my first good bass! Not really; mine had the stock PUs & an upgraded bridge. That's some serious yellowing, BTW. Man, I want one these(again...). Also BTW, they never came in a true seafoam or surf green(how I wish they had :( ); that green one on the bay was more of an oh-so-80's turquoise, IIRC.