1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender jazz bass stacked tone seres parallel. HELP!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Govier966, Apr 28, 2009.

1. I need some help wiith my wiring schematic. is this design logical and would it all work nicely. I want to install a switch that alows me to have a series parallel mod. but i don't always want to use it. I also want my bass so look somewhat stock. so i want to install that in a push pull volume knob. i also like the 62 dual tone control but i want to stack two tone knobs. how does this look? any corrections? anyone with experience? http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2511924&l=09a5c713ba&id=669637111

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    remember, two tone knobs will do less than you think, because they will both affect everything, not just their own pickup, if both pickups are on.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
  4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Two tones is a waste of time...it's works nowhere near as well as you'd think. I had a two pickup bass (no pots) and each pickup went to its own 6-way rotary switch which went: Off, .1, .069, .047, .033, .022uF. I later discovered that it was nowhere near as flexible as anticipated, the biggest cap selected pretty much overrides the other.

Here's what I did to a Jazz Bass and liked it a lot...it looked 100% stock.
    Vol neck was a cap selector switch as described above, except "off" was "no cap, straight to the jack".
    Vol bridge was another 6-way switch for pickup selection: off, neck, neck + bridge, bridge, off, off.
    Tone was a push/pull pot for series/parallel.
    No pots were used, although the p/p pot could be used as a Master Vol.
    I used the black plastic skirted knobs because the skirts would cover the little slot in the control plate for the tang on the 6-way switches to prevent them for spinning. The cavity floor also had to be lowered a little to make room for the p/p pot...they need about 1 5/16" - 1 3/8".

5. thanks for the help i think the pot will just fit in the cavity. also does any one know any good gain boosting units that i could install in my jazz bass with the same push/ pull feature