Fender Jazz Bass Standard NUT and Replacement Options (Broken Nut Questions)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman1-909, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Bassman1-909

Bassman1-909

Jan 1, 2017
    Dear friends,

I put together a jazz bass with various parts (vintage mod squire body, mexican standard replacement neck, cs60 pickups, vintage style bridge, road worn tort pickguard). I have a wide range of strings I like to use, including 3-4 kinds of flats, tapewounds, grounds, and GHS pressure wounds. I recently put on some DR sunbeams which I really like and which probably fit the bass best (I've avoided rounds my whole life but the sunbeams are making me rethink that).

Unfortunately, I noticed that the left piece of the nut next to the E string has broken off. The string stays in place and at first I thought it wasn't making a difference, but I've noticed a vibration sound coming out of my amp when I play the E string. At first I thought it may have been an issue with the pickups or the amp, but the other strings don't have any problems. It is less when I solo with just one pickup, but otherwise the E string sounds almost like there are two notes being played slightly out of sync when I play the E.

I was meaning to replace the nut anyway, but I guess I have a few questions:

1.) What kind of nut comes on a standard MIM neck?
    2.) What is the preferred nut for a jazz? What are the good options?
    3.) Does my E string noise issue sound like it's related to the broken nut?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

2. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    Maybe a Tusq unit?

Never used them on any basses, but have in several of my guitars. They're nice that they come in different colors and are pre-shaped.

And I don't believe you'll notice any difference in tone (since the nut only comes into play on an open string).

3. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Fender makes a bone replacement, pre-slotted or un-slotted. The Fender nuts have curved bottoms. I am sure someone makes a brass nut too, as well as the aforementioned Tusq.

4. Bassman1-909

Bassman1-909

Jan 1, 2017
    ended up going with the tusq, so far so good!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021