1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender jazz bass. Through-body stringing. Better??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dirtyclinic, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic

Nov 15, 2011
    I have a "made in Mexico" jazz bass. The strings hook into the bridge unit on top of the guitar. On the American special model it looks the same. When you move up to the American standard model the strings go through the body. Is this feature a big upgrade ? Is there a difference in tone, sustain, something? Just wondering. Thanks.

2. You'll never notice a difference. I prefer stringing through the body, but it's for no good reason other than because I can.

3. simplebass

simplebass

Mar 20, 2011
    Jim Falls WI
    For me I don't notice much of a difference if at all except for on a five string it seems to help with floppy b string on some 34" scale basses. IMO of course.

Also IMO Dubista that was just rude. If you feel a question is not worth a response then don't leave one.

4. No tonal difference. I seem to favor stringing through the bridge lately.

5. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Me too, and flats don't usually like going through the body and making the turn over the bridge.

6. Bill G.

Bill G.

Dec 2, 2005
    Baton Rouge
    One of my P basses is string through & the other is top loading. I can't notice any difference at all, but that's just me.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've owned several basses that offered both top loading and string thru options, and tried both methods on "a few" occasions - no perceptable difference AFAIAC...

- georgestrings

8. Sorry, I thought I'd take a slightly different spin on the obligatory "Use the search function" post.

:bag:

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I thought it was just fine - don't let someone's butthurt bother you any...

- georgestrings

10. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Like the old joke about the dog and his bathing technique..I do it cuz I can. As far as tone difference...if there was one, as soon as the guitarist plugs in, it's moot anyway!

11. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic

Nov 15, 2011
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I won't worry about it for now. If I had the option I guess I would go through body. It seems more deluxe.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    No. Even Fender R&D says so.

On the other hand, your Fender E strings won't be too long with through-body. :scowl:

Through-body was originally just an expedient measure to inexpensively secure strings when using an extremely lightweight bridgeplate that did nothing but hold the saddles.

Look at any '51 RI and you'll immediately see what I'm talking about.

13. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    You should upgrade that bridge to a gotoh 201. .

14. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Interesting info there.

I strung my 2011 AMSTD P through-body with long scale Chromes without any problems, although I initially feared the taper at the nut-end of the E-string was going to end up too short.

15. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I was always told that strung-through would improve sustain, so I always did it that way. But my J had pretty poor sustain on the E string.
    Then at a Rush concert I got the bright idea of seeing how Geddy strung his J bass. Bridge. I started stringing mine at the bridge.
    Now I don't know if I am under the influence of of Gery Lieber, but I swear that my E now has better sustain. It may just be that I am using a different brand of strings (not sure about gauge).
    Experiment. Have fun.

16. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    I expect you're talking about stringing with a standard bent plate bridge. The only place I think it might help would be for a B string. But then I have heard of people having problems running the B string thru body. For typical 4 string basses, I don't believe it makes a difference. I run my Jazz' with Hipshot vintage bridges top loaded, and they sound wonderful (both 4 and 5 string).

Once you solidly anchor a high mass bridge to it, I don't think it matters whatsoever.

17. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    I have MIA and MIM and can't discern that string through makes a difference. I had read when I made my choice that it does, and it seems like its nice to have options in anything but no.. I can't hear a difference...

18. jrmintz

jrmintz

Oct 11, 2008
    I have a Lakland Joe Osborn 5-string with a 35-inch scale that can go through the bridge or through the body. I found the sound to be thinner and boinkier through the body, and fatter through the bridge.

19. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Bingo. That's why Mike Lull only offers thru-body stringing on his 5 sting basses, and even then it's A. only on a 34" scale and B. only for the low B.