Fender Jazz Bass - time of production?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerome44, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Jerome44

Jerome44

Jan 28, 2019
    Hi there, fellow groove mates,
    Came across this instrument (see pics). Anyone able to identify the general time at which this was constructed?
    Looks like a 60s decal to me..
    But stamps in neck pocket say 70s?
    Any help will be appreciated!

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png 7.png 8.png 9.png headstock_rear.jpg IMG_0347.JPG IMG_0351.JPG IMG_0353.JPG IMG_0447.JPG IMG_0449.JPG IMG_0450.JPG neck.jpg

2. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    That's a re-issue from the future, the year 2170. Quite rare.
    Actually it looks like a newer re-issue of some sort. No serial number anywhere?
    It might not even be a Fender.

saabfender likes this.
  3. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My vote is fake. The “offset contour body” decal looks wrong. Maybe that’s the way they are doing it in 2170.

Looks like they used a UV lamp to make it too dark, vis a vis the lack of color change on the neck heel from the rest of the neck.

4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I'm thinking some kind of fakery is happening here, Fender experts come forth.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I don’t know about the body & its parts but the back of the neck picture you posted looks like it was resprayed. Plus, there’s no playing wear showing which is odd for what appears to be a used instrument.

There’s a texture to the application there. Any amount of playing time would have worn that down somewhat.

I have no knowledge regarding g its pedigree.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021