1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender jazz bass tone - but not fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrscotch, Sep 24, 2008.

1. mrscotch

mrscotch

Jul 21, 2008
    Huntington
    Are there any basses out there that have tone comparable to a fender jazz bass, but do not have the same look and feel? I like the way they sound, but I'd prefer a more modern look and a sleeker neck.

thanks

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Fbass, but it costs alot of money!:eek:

3. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I think the Lakland xx-02 is a good example of what you're looking for. Even though its supposed to be a MM/J style of bass, the ones I've played have never reminded me of a true MM that much. I can hear the influence of the Jazz on them though, especially when splitting the coil of the MM pickup. That is where I would start if I were in your shoes.

4. Per your specs, I'd suggest a Peavey Foundation if you don't mind something used.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Carvin Bolt series and their LB 20 and LB70 basses. Excellent basses. Best neck I've ever played. I built the Bolt which is also available in kit form for about $420. I used their single coil J99 pickups. Very Fender J like but a little hotter. They also can be had with humbucking J style pickups. Passive or active models. The fretwork is superb. The neck is much sleeker than Fender.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Dang! I forgot the 55-02, and I own one!:bag:

7. +1 the Doc is spot on here. If a more modern looking bass with the backbone of the tried and true j-bass tone is what you want then do yourself a favour and check out F Bass.

F Bass now have their new vintage series which are all about the j-bass tone. Like all F Bass instruments they also include the refinements and aesthetic appointments of George Furlanetto's world class design criteria. If a sleek neck is what you are looking for, again look no further than F Bass. Yes, F Basses are somewhat in the upper end price-wise, however as the old adage goes, you get what you pay for.:D

http://www.fbass.com/html/vf-5.html

Cheers,
    Paul Theriault
    Bassjones
    http://www.myspace.com/paultheriaultmusic

8. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.

+1 for the Foundation. Very good, pro quality bass that won't empty your wallet.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +100! Foundations with Super Ferrite pups are totally seventies Jazz Bass sounding and are usually under $200.:hyper:

10. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    you could give a warwick corvette standard a shot... while the neck isn't maybe the sleekest (this might be an understatement) it is still worth checking out. i really dig mine- even though my taste in necks is starting to lean towards the thicker (my geddy feels too thin these days)

it has two jazz pickups, and it definitely has that jazz thing happening, plus a little extra!
    besides, there is no harm in trying one out!

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Geddy Lee Jazz?

Frankenjazz?

12. BrickIsRed

BrickIsRed

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah, it does sound very like a jazz bass and a little more aggression, depending on how you set the tone controls.

13. Starscream has a 4 and 5 string pair of Foundations listed in the classified thread. I would check them out if I was looking(I already have 3 Foundations).