1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass vs Cort A4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassistas, Oct 13, 2006.

1. bassistas

bassistas

Oct 13, 2006
    Hello everybody,

This is my first posting in this forum and I would like to pose a very important matter. I am a proud owner of a Squier Standard Jazz Bass (my first bass) and thinking about what my next bass will be. My dilemma seems to lie on the type of wood since my Squier happens to be quite heave on the shoulders. I am open to recomendations. My choices so far are the Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass because it is USA made but somebody also pointed me towards the Cort A4 too. I play mostly funk and am looking a good sounding bass with narrow fretboard and easy to play.

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    The cort with provide you with the nice thin neck, however if you are looking for a lighter bass the Cort would not be the best bet. The A series is a neck through body design and is pretty heavy.

You might want to consider the Artisan B series which are a lot lighter.

Body construction of the B series if I am not mistaken is:

Swamp Ash body
    Wenge & maple neck
    Bolt on neck as opposed to neckthrough

I have a fretless B4 which is easy on the shoulders and has a great sound.

blastbass likes this.
  3. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I own two Cort basses, one i an Artisan C4 (one the first models,
    so the active pickups doesn't have all the functions they do now a
    days), and the other one is a discontinued five-string model called
    3535. Both a really nice basses and I bet I'm the only one on TB
    with a 3535.

The Artisan C4 is actaully great for slap and pop playing and can
    give you a nice modern sound with the active electronics, but it's
    the lightest of basses. The 3535 is actually too light! At least the
    body is, so the neck weighs over so I have to "pick it up" once in a
    while when I'm playing. It's simply not well balanced.

Play some Cort basses and see what you like is my advice. They're
    very reasonably priced compared to other "high-tech"-sounding
    basses.

4. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    buy Cort/Elrick RB 4 nice light bass with ash body and nice flame or quilted maple and is the same price as A4

5. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    the Hwy 1 is supposed to be quite light in the Fender lineup .... I have considered pickin up a Jazz myself, currently I have a MIA jazz (ash) thats 9 lbs, and play a Hwy P that the church owns, ... a good quality strap will go a long way too ... I actually play seated on a custom stool most of the time, I have recently had rotator cuff surgery ...

lifeoffroadbass likes this.
  6. Cort A4 is SO much better than a Fender Squire. There is no comparison, the Cort is far better quality.

7. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I own both a Cort Artisan A5 & an American Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe. The construction of both is top notch. But personally, if I were going off to a funk gig, I'd bring the Fender. The reason being that while I could get a good tone to use from the Cort, the Bartolini soapbars are not going to fit the style of music as well as the Jazz bass. 90-95% of all 70's funk was done with Jazz or P-basses. You can EQ to add more punch, etc., but the soapbars are just not gonna sound like a set of single coil jazz bass pickups. Jazz bass pickups "see" the string in a different manner (narrower aperture) than other styles of pickups and contribute to their unique jazz-bass voice. IMO, a jazz bass is the sound of 70's funk, not soapbars. If weight is an issue, there is a big thread on the recently released Squire active Jazz basses (if active basses are you're thing, if not gut the electronics). Excellent reviews on them & supposed to be pretty light weight as well. Just my 2 cents.

8. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I think you should save your money and get an EBMM Stingray, Lakland, or G&L.

9. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Also wanted to add that I also have a Cort GB-75 which I LOVE. But then, it does have a jazz single coil pickup along with a MM style pickup. The MM pickup can also be split to single coil with one of the switches. So this splits the best of two worlds. A lot of variety in the range of music this one can cover. This one would be funk-gig approved, IMO. :)

100_0558.jpg

10. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yes, yes. The Cort/Elrics are monsterously good basses. I had an A5 for a while and it was a great bass, very light and VERY comfortable, but the tone was not what I was looking for. The Cort/Elric (I think it was one) I played the other day completely blew me away. Bolt-on makes all the difference, IMO.

11. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Have to agree there. IME, neck-thru construction in general seems to damper the upper mids where a lot of character of a bass resides.
    My A5 sounds very detailed & clear, but not as aggressive as any of my bolt on basses. I think a more aggressive electronics package than the stock pre/pickups would be required to really get it speaking with some attitude.