Fender Jazz Bass vs G&L L2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rallie, Sep 7, 2005.

1. rallie

Aug 28, 2005
    Hi everybody..
    I have a question for you: for Americana genre (mix of rock, blues and country) what bass should I buy? A new fender jazz bass (the one with S1) or a new G&L L2000?

thanks for your helping!
  2. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    For the kind of music you're describing, I would go with the Fender Jazz, string it with flatwounds, and keep the S-1 switch in (to make it sound more like a Precision). The L2000 is famous for being extremely versatile (and it is simply a great all-round bass), but for what you're talking about you need only one particular sound, and you'd get that sound best with the Jazz/flatwounds/S-1 combination, IMHO.
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    While they do have some similarities, its apples vs. oranges IMO.

I have an L2000 and its really versatile, you can get alot of different tones out of it. However for a true jazz bass tone you need the real thing. Both great instruments, the S1 feature is cool. The G&L also offers series/parallel switching...but it also has active/passive mode switching in addition. I'm pondering picking up an MIA active jazz next.
  4. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I've found that you can dial up just about any tone you want from a G&L ASAT/L2K, but every bassist needs at least one Fender in his arsenal.
  5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I think that a G&L does give you the "fender sounds" in your arsenal. I vote for G&L.

There have been quite a bit of G&L threads lately.
  6. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    My point WAS that G&L can get just about any tone....including a Fender.

I just got my first G&L (an ASAT) about a month ago & haven't touched any of my basses since. You're talking to the latest & most convinced G&L convert out there.

Sometimes you just need a Fender....
  7. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I have a G&L L2000 and a Fender Jazz (and Precision), and to me the G&L ALMOST gets the Fender sounds, but not quite, because the pickups are different. It's more like "Fender on steroids" or something. (Which can be great, too.)
  8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Just my personal opinion, but I think the American made G&L build quality is way higher than MIA Fender's.
    I do own and play both...
  9. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
  10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    The G&L(american made) is one of the best basses yuo can buy,is simply amazing,and remember,i love Fender Jazzes,but the truth is,G&L quality and sound is better by a mile,test both and tell me,i want a G&L in my near future,they are awesome pieces.
  11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Probably the best apples-to-apples comparison would be the MIA deluxe stuff. I have owned two MIA JD5s, a '96 and now a 2001. I have also had two L2500s, an '00 and an '02. I would say the newer JD is as well-made as the G&Ls. The older one, perhaps not.

That being said, to go with the original poster's question, I think I would go with the G&L because it gives you the P-bass vibe when you want it. It can get that edgy EBMM kind of thing going also. It works in almost every situation.

About the only sound that you can't get a decent clone of with an L2000 is a Fender Jazz. A jazz is what it is. I love them, and I have gone through periods when I didn't own one, but I always end up with another. In total, I think I have owned 10-11 Fender jazz basses. They have their sound that is what it is. It all depends on the the voicing of the band. A jazz can sound amazing or it can get swallowed completely.
  12. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Just a reminder to everyone that the original question was about *tone*, not quality control, construction, and so on. It seems to me that for "roots" music like this, you need to go with the genuine article, and the simpler the better. :)
  13. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004

I wasn't sure if that's what you meant, so I thought I would just throw that out there. I have an ASAT as well and I love it.

I think you can get a Jazz Bass sound if you go parallel setting, and change some of the pole pieces to accentuate the Jazz sound you want. You still can't blend the pickups,though. You could modify it for that if you are ambitious.
  14. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Actually, I think that Fender and Musicman basses ALMOST get the G&L tones. G&Ls should be recognized for their own unique and evolved tones instead of being constantly compared to the instruments which are its predecessors.
  15. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004

That's a great point. I played a Stingray recently just to see what I was missing. I was the beautiful "Butter Creme" finish. Plus it had been years since I had my hands on one. I was not impressed, mostly because the bar has been set so high with my G&L. I'll my G&L "Butterscotch Blonde" finish over "Butter Creme" any day.
  16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    G&L bridge pup in single coil with treble boost is a very close fender jazz approximation...
  17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I really haven't been that impressed with the G&Ls I've played (I know, shoot me), so I'd say Fender.
  18. epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    Quality-wise, the G&L are hands-down consistant and top notch. I have had Jazzes and Precisions and they cannot come close to my L2K wine red beauty. I'll try out a new Fender every once in a while and just not be impressed with even the higher priced models that you would think be better. I still respect Fender, but I always run back to my G&L that just has that gut-wrenching punch that I love. Its nice to have the added versatility too...slap, rock, grind, growl, fat, treble-rooled off neck pickup Motown flavor....yeah its all there! :D

Yes, there will not be an exact clone tone of the J, P, or Stingray tone. First, the L2k has humbuckers rather than single coils like a J, so there will be a difference right there. P-wise, it gets pretty close IMO. I was jamming to that Patrice Rushen's "Forget Me Nots" song the other day with "Ready" Freddy Washington on a P-bass and the slap and pop tone was pretty darn close (my technique was not though :crying: )
    Stingray-wise, I have a Sterling to satiate that tone desire. I don't really care for the parallel mode on the G&L anyway, but I guess its nice to have options, eh?

One other thing to consider is weight and the neck. Mine has a wide but flat neck which is fine for me, but really makes me appreciate how skinny and fast my Sterling neck is. The Jazz neck would be more considerate to smaller hands, unless you custom order a G&L with a skinnier neck. Weight-wise, my G weighs a ton!! Way more it seems than the two J's I have had. Swamp ash is a heavier wood than alder which I believe is on most J's unless its a natural finish. I think it adds to the huge tone, but it does get heavy after a few hours. The bridge is also heavier and more durable than a J's.

Regardless though, both basses will fit the bill! :)
  19. It's Americana! Get the Fender!