1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender jazz bass, Warwick corvette or musicman stingray????6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazz-Francois, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Hello guys, I need some help because I plan to buy a new bass and I am not really sure on what I am going to buy, new or used ect....:confused: I would like to buy a fender jazz bass but I don't really like the sound of the new ones and if I want an old one, it is very hard to find. I have approximately 1700$$ in canadian cash an my other choices are the warwick corvette standard 4 strings and the musicman stingray 4 strings?? So it would be appreciated if you could help me in my choice an give your opinions these basses

Are lakland basses good ???

thank you!!:) :)

2. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    In your price range, I'd go for a Yamaha.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Any MusicMan (StingRay, Sterling or Bongo) will make you extremely happy.

4. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have played all of them and I love the musicman stingray 4 with the maple fb in HH configuration. Fenders are pretty hit and miss as far as tone goes...I found a $500 Korean model that knocked the socks off of the $1K American model. The warwicks aren't exactly my favorite anymore after they ditched the wenge necks.

I like Laklands a lot. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is, but you might be able to get a Lakland Skyline 44-02 brand new and maybe (just maybe) a 44-94 American model used.

So, IMHO: Fenders only if you have heard and like the tone...Laklands and Musicman HH have my heart...the warwicks, not so much anymore.

5. conan

conan

Oct 26, 2006
    I would buy the Musicman Stingray but only because I already have a Warwick Corvette. If I didn't I'd find it hard to choose between the two.

6. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    They did? When? And what do they use now?

7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    if i had my way, id have all 3.

8. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    the stingray HH is pretty much a miacle bass as far as im concerned.

i love teh sterling HS just as much. id be hard pressed to choose between those 2 but if i had to pick then i think the sterling's jazz-type neck would probably push it ahead as my one fav

9. They use Ovankol wood for the neck itself, then Wenge for the fretboard.

And OP, as for your deliema... Those are 3 completley different basses. Hardly comparable in such a manor with no details as to what style of bass you play, what kind of music, what your desired tone it, etc.

Give us some details. Without details as to what you want, all we can say is what we like. And we aren't you.

10. $1700cad is $1500us so he's got quite a bit to work with.

The Stingray is what I'd spend it on.

11. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I would go for the Musicman Stingray or my favorite the Sterling.

12. pdeon99

pdeon99

Oct 8, 2005
    I'm going through the same decision process you are, for a 4 string. I ended up renting the various options for a week each. I found that I'm not as blown away with the Music Man HH as many others are. I definitely prefer the narrower jazz-width neck, so I'm currently renting a Sterling HS, and while it is a nice piece of gear, I don't like it as much as the Fender Active Jazz because of the smooth sound and wide range of tones I can get out of the latter. This weekend I tried a Warwick Thumb in the store, and I like it a lot based on that short experience (solid notes!), but the price is a bit higher than the rest. I want to try a Fender American Deluxe Active. In Gear Reviews, owners are very satisfied with theirs. Thanks to this thread, I am now alerted to the fact that identical Fenders may sound different, so I'll watch out for that.

13. Papersen

Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    I´ve had the fortune to own/play the 3 basses you mention.
    IMHO, they´re quite different animals. The most notorious difference is between the Fender Jazz and the Stingray.
    They´re both superb basses but have their own unique sound.
    If you like to slap, these are probably the top 2 in bass history. I personally prefer the Jazz neck profile which makes it much more comfortable when playing long gigs.

The Corvette has the same pickup config that the Jazz, but the MEC pickups and wood used (Bubinga, Wenge, Ovangkol) give it a distinctive. If you´re seriously considering and like active basses, try the Corvette Proline too. It´s quite better than the Vette Std.

Try to play them all before deciding.

14. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    OK, personally I think they are all different, but share something. All are extensions of the original Fender bass in concept, in one way or another.

The Warwick has J-style pickups, and even the Stingray was designed by Leo, so in a way it's an extension of his original design philosophy. That said, they are all very different basses.

I personally LOVE Warwicks, but they are rather unique. I disagree that only the old ones are any good. I have a newer Ovangkol Thumb (as well as older Wenge/Bubinga) and they're all good.

Personally, I'd get a Japanese J-bass (or a Jaguar...I have two they are GREAT) and pocket the difference. The quality on the Japanese stuff is just fantastic, and you'd even have plenty of digit left over for killer pickups if you wanna go on a modding frenzy.

15. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    BTW...the difference in cost is substantial. I paid only $650 for my Jags, and you can get a Geddy Lee Jazz for under $700

They are just as good as Fenders 3X the price, and I compared MANY in the store. The Jags compared favorably with American Deluxes that cost $1800