1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass with BLACK LOGO on headstock!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonathan Ojeda, May 12, 2015.

1. Hello bass lovers, I just bought the next bass online, and I wanted to know if all the FENDER instruments with the black logo in headstock are squier series? I mean if you can see in the headstock there is no marks or signals of any SQUIER SERIES logo.. and I it was only $260 dlls not $289 so I think it was a good deal..

the serial number says:
    MN5 + 5 of 6 Digits 1995 - 1996

My doubt is if it is a Fender or a Squier bass..

what do you think? do you think it was a good deal? does it woth it? or should I just sell it after get in the mailbox?

Thanks!!

IMG_0700. IMG_0701. IMG_0702. IMG_0703. IMG_0704.

Attached Files:

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've seen those before. I think they're regular Mexican mid 90's Fenders made with slightly better (better in what way, I don't know) parts.

I think they might be called Traditional series basses.

Jonathan Ojeda likes this.
  3. AnalogKid4003

AnalogKid4003

Jul 8, 2012
    Mid 90s mexican fender.
    That's about market value imho

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I can't see it being a Squier. Not many people would remove a Squier logo and replace it with a MIM logo over an American logo.

Nice bass that sells for $250-325 all day long.

5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    That was the standard MIM logo during that time. It's definitely not a Squier.

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    My 96 has the same headstock logo.
    Definitely a Mexi Fender, not a Squier.

7. reddesert

reddesert

Mar 19, 2015
    There were basses with the black Fender logo and a little "Squier Series" on the headstock scroll. I have one. Different from yours because the Squier Series ones have a one-piece pickguard (and probably different electronics). But anyway, you have the bass, set it up and play it and if it's a good instrument for you, the presence or absence of an extra decal matters little.

8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    One thing to keep in mind, @Jonathan Ojeda, is that these Jazz basses have identically sized pick ups. Should you choose to make a change, make sure you check measurements before buying.
    USA basses and post 2001-2002 Mexibasses have smaller neck p/u's than bridge p'/u's.

9. MIM, not Squier, good price. I love white Jazzers, very nice. Congrats, enjoy.