1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz Bass year identification help....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dk2429, Feb 18, 2019.

1. dk2429

dk2429

Feb 18, 2019
    Literally made this account to figure this out...

My grandma just recently gave me an old Fender Jazz Bass that she used to use.. She doesn't know the year on it, but her husband bought it used for her in 1982. So it's got to be older than that....

I've already taken the neck off looking for the serial but came up empty. Only thing close to a number I got was what looked like to be a roman numeral "7" on the back of the neck..... From the looks to me, it appears to be a 1960's... What do y'all think? I can't find a number anywhere.

Attached Files:

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    what's on the headstock?

TerenceE likes this.
  3. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    i think a fisheye lens makes it hard to identify the bass.
    but i can tell it’s not a fender bass.

4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Unfortunately, that's not a real Fender.

5. dk2429

dk2429

Feb 18, 2019
    On the head stock, with a light up to it you can see where it says Fender Jazz Bass. It looks really faint, but that's a about it..

I'm curious as to what makes y'all say it's not a real Fender..? Every part on it says Fender..

I've got a 2013 USA Jazz Bass, and I can tell what's fake/real on newer guitars.. these older ones have me stumped though

6. Definitely a fake. Neck plate is wrong, pickup is wrong

groooooove and dalkowski like this.
  7. dk2429

dk2429

Feb 18, 2019
    Damn that sucks...

Didn't faking guitars was a thing back in those times.. I also found a #7 on the body under the pickguard too.

Theres a sticker on the back of the pickguard that says Olympic Control INC.

8. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    nothing, and i mean NOTHING is the right shape.

fretboard dots. whats going on? 3 dots at 12 AND 15??? fretboard dot at 1?

body shape is wrong

bridge cover is shaped wrong

pickup or whatever that metal box is is wrong

control plate is so many kinds of wrong. what's going on? 4 knobs? a switch? dang fisheye lens! where's the OUTput jack?

screw pattern in pickguard wrong. screws are flat top not domed.

neck heel shaped wrong

neck pocket routing work looks horrible. carved with a chisel? nothing like typical fender. even in the 70s it wasn't that bad.

ugh. the neck plate. wrong shape. wrong size. screw holes so close to edge and too small. logo is totally wrong. is it hand carved?

9. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I've never seen a fender neck with 3 inlay dots at the 12th fret. Haven't seen that script style on a neckplate either. I'm not good at vintage ID, but those 2 things jumped out at me. Of course the control plate too, but I'm sure you noticed that one. What about the pickups and pots? Both should have a date code.
    Wanted to add that this is still a SUPER COOL thing to have, and cooler still that she played it.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  10. dk2429

dk2429

Feb 18, 2019
    Ain't gonna lie, when she sent the pic, it also looked to me like the body wasn't even shaped right. But hell, I was just maybe thinking the original jazz basses were shaped like that.....

I'll post some pics from under the pickguard.. give me sec

11. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    NOt a Fender, no need to post any more pics. I mean, unless you REALLY want to know if someone can identify the bass. But yeah, not a fender.

12. dk2429

dk2429

Feb 18, 2019
    In the last pic, I circled in green where you can BARELY see the Fender logo.. in read you can see where it says Jazz Bass.. it's extremely faint though. Idk if it just faded away or if someone sanded it off.

Sorry for the fish eye pics.. lol. taking these with a GoPro. My phone camera SUX

Attached Files:

13. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    My grandma left me her old ferrari, btw. Pic attached.

Acura_Integra_Sedan_1990-1991.JPG

14. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    That's probably the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Zero guesses about what it is, but those mods add a lot of character. How does it sound?

15. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    a 60s jazz bass should look a lot like a 2013 jazz bass, TBH. Every part that doesnt look like your 2013 jazz bass is the reason why people are saying it is not a real fender.

Picton, RobTheRiot and Willicious like this.
  16. dk2429

dk2429

Feb 18, 2019
    I put it all back together and it compared to my legit USA Jazz Bass.... now that I look at it, you can tell pretty easily about the difference in shape. I'll just have to cut my losses! I was hoping I had a legit 60's Jazz Bass, but this is the real world!

Attached Files:

17. dk2429

dk2429

Feb 18, 2019
    I have no idea.. The tuners aren't on it so haven't strung it up. Knowing its fake now I really don't have a desire to mess with it. I still would like to know what it really is!!!!! Maybe it's a trial and error from where Leo was designing the jazz bass??? (just kidding. lol)

18. lundborg

lundborg

Apr 8, 2008
    Looks to me like a 60’s ”Serviceman’s bass”, i.e. a Filipino made counterfeit sold to US military people during the Vietnam war. Look it up.

I have a ”Höfner” of similar origin...

19. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    "NAF"

20. It's worth keeping and fixing up just because you can say your Grandma played it.
    If mojo is a real thing this one must have it.