Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phunky, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    Hello! I'm about to buy a bass.. What i need is some help with Fender Jazz Bass Mexican Series... I tried one out in a store and i loved the sound! Problem is, that i've searched around the forum and many people have said that it's better to buy the american series.. should i buy another bass or what? PS. i don't got $1000.....

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    There's nothing wrong with the Mexico Jazz Bass. I used to have one and it was great. I replaced the pickups and bridge, but I should have left it stock, it sounded better and played better that way. MIM Jazz basses are not as well made as USA ones and they don't have as good materials, but they're still quite good instruments. If you found one you like, get it and enjoy it!

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Exactly!
    PLay 5 or 10, and find one you like. I'd advise that same procedure for mia, fender, whatever you want. Build quality and consistancy is not what it should be in many brands and price levels...

4. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I completely agree with Chef - IME anyway with mass produced basses is that some are better than others. Most are "average" with a few cherries as well as a few lemons. Search for the cherries. I have a MIM P-Bass which I think is amazing, but I probably tried 30 before settling into that one. Which is why I prefer not to buy basses online or otherwise sight unseen. Try used as well - new through MF, I think MIM Jazzes are around $385 - for a couple hundred more, you could get a used MIA. I also hear people like the Geddy Lee model a lot, which if I remember correctly is between the MIM and MIA price wise.

I think you would be very happy with a good MIM Fender. You could always upgrade pickups, etc if you want, to...

5. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Get the Mexican series and use the saved cash to get another bass or a new amp or something along those lines if you have some needs.

EDIT: If you have any left that is.

6. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    get an essex

7. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks for your replys, btw is the Fender Jazz Bass good for slapping?

8. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I find that it is. I usually crank the neck pup and blend the bridge pup up until I get the tone I like. Others do it differently, but it can definitely work for slap once you dial in your tone.

9. I have a MIA Jazz, got it used for $550.00 or so. I have had it looked over and it is in great shape. If you don't have the $1,000.00 to spare, just go with the MIM, but try a bunch and decide the one you like best. I don't slap all that much, but I have heard that this is a good slap bass.

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Larry Graham pioneered slap on a Jazz. Marcus Miller plays a Jazz. I don't know what else needs to be said.

As for getting a MIM, I'd echo what's been said above. Do note, however, that prices on these recently went up a little...so I'm not sure what they're going for now. Used to be around $350, and that was a good value.

Two comments and they are somewhat contradictory.

1. You should try to play any MIM Fender before buying it. Reason is, if you get a good one, it can be just as good as a MUCH more expensive bass. BUT the proportion of great MIM's to so-so ones is not in your favor. Hence, it is important to try to play before you buy. The three key things to check are: 1) does the neck exhibit proper relief? 2) do the electronics sound alright? and 3) is the fit and finish up to snuff--i.e. no sharp fret ends, dings, etc.

2. Buy used if you can. MIA Fenders retain value, MIM Fenders plummet the moment you drive them off the lot. It's just that way. SO, for less than the price of a new one you could probably go on Ebay and get a used MIM with some of the desireable upgrades (new pickups, new bridge) for less than a new one. Look for one which has had a professional setup and save even more. I recently saw a MIM Jazz on Ebay which had been set-up by Mike Lull and had a set of Duncan Antiquity pups installed for $350. Now THAT's a good deal.

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Well, if I remember correctly, even MIM Jazzes cost a load more in Europe. You might want to check out the price differences between the MIM and MIA's before you buy the Mexican.

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    www.bassnw.com ships internationally, if I'm not mistaken. You might check out their site.

13. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    that's a coincidence. i just played a mim fender jazz. went to the musicstore to pick up a little combo (my old one croked). saw a few fenders hanging around and thought i'd try one. action was waaaayyyy too high so i guess this isn't a very objective review. it's a nice bass. neck is great and fast compared to my warwick, only the sound....i can't really put my finger on it but there's something lacking.

maybe you should save up a little more phunky. i don't know who said it but it's indeed better to buy something you can't really afford with which ur utterly happy with other than buying something which doesn't satisfy.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You'll be entireely happy with a mim jazz, just play it first to make sure you like it, and play more instruments if you don't. They're fine, just quality control lags sometimes.

In regards to the one with the action waaaaay high that lacked tone, those two go together. The string to pickup relationship has lots to do with tone...

15. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, Jazz basses are great for slap and IMO one of the most versatile basses out there. Some comments on tone (FWIW) - first, I think there are basses that sound a lot better than a jazz when you are noodling around at GC (or wherever), but few sound good when in the mix. I sold a Warwick Thumb because I personally found the opposite to be true - it sounded great in my living room, but I couldn't get many tones I was happy with live. Second, I personally do not like new strings - so when you try something out in the store (usually strung with cheaper strings, I think) it is not going to sound as good as when you get some time in with it. Finally, as mentioned above setup has a lot to do with the overall tone...

16. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    good point chef. the pups were very close to the body as well, i couldn't place my thumb comfortably. guess i picked the wrong flower today.

17. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

mexican series is really worth the money, if you dont have alot of money to spend, getting a MIM is a very good idea.