Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raging_rudy, Dec 24, 2005.

1. raging_rudy

raging_rudy

Dec 24, 2005
    Okay, a couple things. First, I would like to know something more specific about foreign versus American besides just GO USA! Second, how does it compare to the P-Bass? Better, worse? I have neither, so use small words. Finally, what's the deal with standard versus deluxe besides a hundred bucks from Musician's Friend. Any info would be great.

2. Basically, the Americans are usually made with better parts and electronics than their Mexican brethren. Most of the time, they are better quality and better set-up consistentcy wise, but this is not always the case, as many (and quite a few probably could vouche here) swear by their Mexis and some even say they feel they are better than the Americans they have played. Deluxe basses usually have active electronics, whereas standard do not. This is a matter of personal preference. A P-bass is not better than a J-Bass and vice versa. They are two separate animals and should be compared as such. That would be like comparing a Hummer to a Corvette...both considered nice, but both are in different categories of vehicle. I own an American deluxe Jazz and a Mexi Precision (which i modded a little). Jazzes are known for their growly town, nice and biting and have a great slap sound, IMO. They have two pickups, and are more versatile tone wise. P-basses are great for that low end thumpin boominess. They have one split coil humbucking pickup. Both basses can be used for literally any type of music. Also, you can get combinations of Precision and Jazz pickups, commonly called P/J basses. Try each out at your local store and see which one you prefer. Also, as noted above, each Fender is different and they make thousands of thousands of basses and theres bound to be a few bad apples, so just because one might sound lously, set up wise, does not mean the next one will. Have fun and good luck in your search.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Actually, you'll find more than a few bad apples. It is well known that Fender's quality control isn't the best. I'm not a Fender fan, but I'd love to have a pre-CBS Jazz Bass in mint condition with all of its original accesories. I prefer the Jazz over the Precision because its dual single coil's added versatility and the nicer offset body. Anyway, I'd never buy a Fender without trying it first. If that's what you plan to do, there are other brands which are synonym of strict quality control (MusicMan, for instance).

No disrespect to Fender fans. Just my $0.02.

4. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

I hear this a lot, yet I must disagree (no disrespect to you either Mr. Gomez) but I hear a lot of people ragging on Fender's QC but what I find is that 8 times out of 10 you will get a nice Fender. But when you get the other 2.. it's so bad you notice it right away.
    Also The mexican factory is like a 20 minute drive from the california factory... and in mexico they can spray (Nitro..something I forget what it's called) but it seals the wood nicely, and actually changes the tone of the instrument... a warmer tone...in America it's illegal to spray it. I find Mexican Fenders to actually be better than American Fenders.

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I actually prefer Fender Japan most of the time. I dunno why, exactly, but I have a weird fondness for them. I think it's mostly because they know that bridge and pickup covers are cool, and our domestic Fender doesn't. ;)

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    FWIW....MIM necks and bodies are MIA.

7. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Corona to Ensenada takes more than 20 minutes unless you're doing about 400 miles an hour. And 1 out of 5 basses being so bad you notice it right away would make Fender one of the worst brands on the market.

And I think you're talking about nitrocellulose which does not cut the highs of the bass and isn't used any way. And is legal to spray in America.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    A lot has been said here, to answer your question: Fender basses made in Mexico are cut and finished in california using standard part's and electronics (entry level for Fender) then the bodies are painted and the basses assembled. ALL PRODUCTION starts in the USA. MIA basses use a better quality hardware with better pots and electronics, Graphite reinforcement in necks, nicer finish options, string through body options, straplok ready, cases with wrenches. these basses have an all around nicer feel than their MIM counterparts. Now as far as MIJ/CIJ basses here's my take, Very nice basses and usually copies of basses from the past some with aftermarket parts like badassII bridges. I like the fit and finish of these basses but I can find a flaw with each one I own. The Geddy's weak link is the tuners, Mine have started to oxidize (no other bass has done this). The Sting bass can be a nightmare to intonate with the stock bridge! I got lucky mine was found right on the very edge of the bridge. The Marcus bass while a very nice bass has a all boost preamp that can really get harsh with treble boosted (no other active Fender I own has this problem). MIM basses are a great buy for those on a budget, They are entry level instruments and allow themselves to modifications very nicely. They come with stock parts and are basically "no frills" The delux MIM basses are a step up and contain factory add ons like preamps, "noiseless pups" maple neck option on p-bass special, vintage pups on the classic series. Tha MIA basses are your best that Fender has to offer, their series basses need nothing as far as upgrades and are plug and play forever basses, any mod would be just to change it's signature sound to ones personnal taste. The deluxe basses offer more tonality. Both these two basses come in ash as well as alder, maple or rosewood necks, premium ash bodies with translucent finishes. Re-issue basses are built to exact specification of the year they are modeled after (unlike the MIJ 75RI basses wrong placement of the rear pup). FMT/QMT line is top prodution line stuff for Fender, MIA artist series is topshelf stuff and need nothing a far as any aftermarket part to be or sound better. I've owned 14 Fenders till recently and still have 12, I own MIM, MIJ/CIJ and MIA basses. I have never bought a new Fender with issues, I have ordered basses from Fender and received basses that were all decently adjusted if not spot on. I ordered my Victor Bailey (1500+) and my FMT V(1800+) site unseen from Fender and they came two day shipping perfectly set up! There are lots of bass makers out there and lots of snobs who spend more time posing than playing, when it comes down to it Fender is the sound that I like the most and fits my style of playing.
    P.S. I have come across my share or horribly set up Fenders on the shelf and probably would never order sight unseen a New Fender from chain store like GC. My take is that it's intirely possible they get what ever Fender sends them in bulk including the bad apples JMHO

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "Tha MIA basses are your best that Fender has to offer, their series basses need nothing as far as upgrades and are plug and play forever basses...."

IMHO I disagree that US made Fenders are the best they can offer me in terms of value for money (most bass for the buck) Fender's japanese made basses are by far the absolute best all around Fender bass for my dollars. Much respect to US made and MIM basses, especially the reissues, which get great reviews and are also next to impossible to find used. I cannot find a better Fender bass for the same money than my cij Geddy Lee jazz bass.

10. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    +1 on the MIJ basses
    I love my MIJ Jazz!

11. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    +2

My CIJ 62 RI Jazz Fretless is flawless! The tolerances on the pickup routes are perfect (unlike the MIA and MIM models I have seen), the hardware is high quality, the fit and finish is wonderful!

Also, once again Fender is getting a bad rap about it's QC. I think what people fail to realize, most of the "bad apples" were not that way when they left the factory. Since they are mass produced, you have no idea how long an instrument was sitting in a warehouse or in a cold or humid truck. I seriously doubt the Fenders that get here in Florida are sitting in an air-conditioned truck for a few weeks. Then they go from the cold to hot or hot to cold....etc.

Most of the time what people consider bad apples can be fixed by a simple setup. The only bad Fender I have come across is a Jazz 24 I bought. The so called quilted maple top looked like a piece of scrap wood from the shop floor......blotches.....no quilt. But then again, those basses are not made by Fender, a Korean sub-contractor makes those for Fender.

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    My apologies I was just going by what I heard from one of my instructors! :rollno: