Fender jazz basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niall, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Niall

Nov 26, 2002
    Calgary AB Canada
    Hi, im new here, and i've been playing bass for about four years now, and thinking of getting a new bass soon. I know that i want to get a fender jazz bass, american standard, but whats the difference between the american standard and the regular standard jazz bass? If anyone here has ever had one of these, could they please help me out so i can make an easier dewcision.

2. Hehehe.

EDIT: Try a Search in the forums, you'll find more information than you can possibly take in.
  3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Is that a new bass? J-A-Z-Z, I like the sound of that;)
  4. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    Remember that when you compare MIA Series' (no longer known as Stds) with MIM Stds you have to compare current models with current models, or specific MIA models vs specific MIM models. MIA vs MIM simply generates broad generalisations.

The current ASe basses are superior to all the previous AmStds, and are of course better than the MIM Stds...premium wood, graphite reinforced rolled-edge neck, better hardware. The latest (post-July 2001) MIM Stds are as good or better than many 90's AmStds.
  5. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    I had this same dilemma about a year ago when my squier was literally falling apart...I like to throw it against things and take it apart even more...

Anyway I got the MIM, this was only because I was paying for the bass and 300 was better than 800. However...I did play the MIA. And I am not that much into the parts and upgrades dealing with basses. When I played the MIA the body was heavier, the neck smoother, and the whole bass felt more clean, smooth, and comfortable. Then I picked up the MIM and its neck was a little less smooth, the body a little lighter, and a tad less comfortable.

To me the MIA had a warmer sound but I could BARELY hear it, I am sure if I was a professional then I could hear lots of differneces, but if your just playing at home, in jazz band, and with friends you prolly dont need a MIA, though it would be kool!
  6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

just kidding :D
  7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my new MIA jazz made in 2001 first of all sounds better than any mim jazz i have ever played.
    it sounds so much better also. just everything about it is better!
    my MIA jazz was the nicest there (total entertainment) and i bought it for $800 new.
    (my dad has spent well over $2000 there in six months!) so i got a little discount. it took me two months and i had to sell all my extra gear to get it.
    but man was it worth it!!!!
    save up for a little while longer. it is diffently worth the wait!

8. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    All comes down to which one sounds best to you. I found an amazing 2002 MIA series with the perfect tone, and every jazz will sound different. But go with the burgundy mist classic series MIM with matching headstock, that thing sounds great and looks just as great. But I've already told you that niall
  9. I always thought it was such a waste of an instrument to destroy it.

At the very least, sell it to a poor aspiriring bassist-to-be.
  10. 1 - The electronics are better on MIA Jazz'

2 - The truss rod is adjustment hole is on the opposite end of the neck.

I like both versions. For some real fun get the active Jazz model, and save up for the US model if you can afford to wait.
  11. i`ve heard that fender`s american traditional jazz basses have bad reputation. why so? something wrong with them?:confused:
  12. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey judas, where did you here that? I have a 00, 98dlx, and a 02 R.I.S.E. and ALL are smokin axes. Do tell what you are baseing (sp) you coment on. And yes all three are MIA.
  13. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think that the through body bridge on the american series makes the tone on the american series a lot clearer, more focused on slap, and gives more sustain. The tuners and bridge are more substantial and the neck plays a lot smoother. I've yet to play a mim as good as my '89 USA jazz ;)
  14. [where did you here that? I have a 00, 98dlx, and a 02 R.I.S.E. and ALL are smokin axes. Do tell what you are baseing (sp) you coment on.]

One of my basses is fender j-bass 99 Am traditional. Many bass players have told me that my bass has tuners, bridge, pup`s made in Mexico.
    I agree with you absolutely that Am. trad. basses are awesome basses. But why do I keep hearing this thing all around?
    I take it personally if they talk bad about my jazz...
  15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I bought a new MIA Jazz bass V this summer and I absolutely love it!

I had the opportunity to try out a MIM jazz recently, and in comparism my MIA felt a lot more solid, better constructed etc. Also the feel of the neck was much better on my MIA.

IMHO go with the MIA!
  16. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    NO Judas the standard basses not the MIA basses have mexican parts and the last couple of years hardwear has gotten alot better.
  17. Thanks for reply. So my bass may be american standard? I have to check it out when I get home. Neck and body is made in USA- I`ve checked. But other parts may be MIM? :confused:
  18. madskillz

Sep 20, 2002
    The made in America ones have the strings run through the body at the bridge. This will give them more sustain. No matter which you chose, play a few of them. Even the ones MIA sound different from each other.
  19. pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    play each one for 5 mins..youll feel the diffrence..
    buy used ..there are tons of mia on ebay really cheap..
  20. [the standard basses not the MIA basses have mexican parts]

What`s the difference with standard US made bass and MIA bass? In my headstock it says american traditional, made in USA and serial number begins n9...
    So confused right now.