Fender Jazz Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Apr 25, 2003.

1. can anyone tell me what the main differences are between the std. mexican jazz bass and the fancy shmancy "american" std jazz bass..the price gap between them is prety big so i just wanted to know if theres some kind of huge difference.:meh:
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Well..they both look like a Jazz bass, and both have Fender logo...almost everything else is different - woods, hardware, pickups, electronics. Does that justify the price difference? For some it does, for some it doesn't...try both and see what you think.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wood types are the same. The USA ones probably have better quality wood. The USA basses have string-through-body, the Mexico ones have bridge strining. The USA models have graphite reinforcement in the neck, which the MIM ones lack. The USA ones have the truss rod adjustment at the body end of the neck, the MIM have the truss rod at the top. I've been told that the bottom is better for the neck. The hardware is better quality on the USA models.

but above all that...

The craftsmanship of the USA models is, in general, better than that of the MIM models.

Mine is a USA model and it absolutely sings.
  4. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    this topic has been discussed a million x's,do a search for it and you will find alot of good info about the basses in question:bassist:
  5. thanks for the help I'm just 16 and sorta wired for cash..you know how it is...so i figure a mexican Fender Jazz bass will cut it for now till i get a job or something.
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Yeah, a mim standard fender will cut it for now for you to learn on. They have decent tone for the price. Just look it over carefully since the construction on those is decent on some and not so good on others.

One big difference (the biggest IMO) in the mim standard and mia is body woods, the mim standard is made of poplar, the american is made of alder. Quality if also better on the american series than the standard series. Better neck joint seals, fret work, etc.
  7. the thing is I can play quite decently already i just cant stand my Carlo Robelli bass which i've had for about 2 years since i started playing..ive tried out a number of basses these past few years and the one which stood out the most for me was the Fender Jazz Bass for some reason..it really grew on me..all those trips to sam ash tryin it out gettin diry looks from the assholes who work there
  8. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    A MIM would be better in your case, since you are young and learning the instrument. That is why I bought a MIM P. Just make sure that you that you try a few of them in the store and buy the best one of the bunch, as the QC on the MIMs are not as good as MIAs.
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The MIM Jazz bass is an outstanding value. A great bass for the money, plays and sounds great. Don't hesitate, you'll be happy with one.

BTW, they're not made of Poplar anymore. cassanova's information is correct, but out of date. They used to be made of poplar, and if you are on the used market, you will find poplar MIM Fenders. However, a couple years ago they switched to Alder for the MIM basses.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Word to the wise:

It is possible to find Japanese made Fender basses for the price of new Mexican modelsand the quality is a lot closer to USA.

Then again, the '60s reissue MIM is pretty amazing...
  11. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    go w/ the MIJ fenders,they really are a much nicer,better lookin,sounding,made and tasting.. oh sorry bout that one..kinda got s/tracked a little oh yea fender russia i mean japan made fenders are the way to go,if you play one you will go and kick every mex bass you can come in contact with, I KNOW I DID ...try all the diff. ones out, you've been playing for 2 yrs,i'm sure you can figure it out 4 yourself:D
  12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Yes, any Fender Standard Jazz Bass made after June, 2001 should have an Alder body (and a few other minor upgrades).
  13. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I thought they switched to Alder on the jazzes in 2000? Where did you find your date from, cause I can't remember where I saw the info I have~Josh
  14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Fender may have started using Alder in 2000, but they made it official July, 2001. The date is at the bottom of the specs when you view the Standard Jazz on the Fender website:

(click on [View] under "Specs")
  15. Can you really say A-hole on TB?
  16. i cant say ******* on this website? what are we 5yrs old?
  17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I just got MIM Jazz... It rules. I like it better than the MIA's i played.