1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz Bridge Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bpd024, Aug 27, 2007.

1. bpd024

bpd024

Aug 6, 2007
    I have a fender deluxe jazz 24 bass and i want to replace the bridge with a badass lll but im not sure if it will fit my bass because it's bridge seems bigger than most fender bridges. I know i'm going to need to drill holes to make the badass fit but im not sure if the badass will be able to cover the 4 holes that are in my bass now for the bridge.

heres a link to some pictures of the bass
    http://www.theperfectbass.com/explore.cfm?STORE=Y&N=138&SN=249&CT=101a&PG=101877101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001081&U=1&SS=1&CR=Y

2. oh i see.

well, it seems like a fine bridge already. Perhaps u could find some alternatives, that are "drop-in" replacements?

I put a bridge that wasn't "drop-in/direct replacement" and it was sort of a hassle to get some of the existing holes to fit/drill new ones.

3. bpd024

bpd024

Aug 6, 2007
    well i have been thinking and i think i'm going to try some higher gauge strings to see if that gives me a lower action than what i have now

4. The bridge looks quite beefy. Thats Jazz at perfectbass is a good buy at $699 too!
    You dont need a new bridge at all. If it was one of the regular Fender stock bridges then I would say change it.

But, what it sounds like here is you need a good set up. Take it too a good luthier/guitar shop and spend the $75-150 for a good setup and new strings.
    I assume you want nice low action. It takes a couple of different adjustments to get it where you want (truss rod, bridge etc). I have been playing for about 25 years, but always have my setups professionally done. I know alot of guys here can do their own, but i just never bothered.
    So, just spend a little $$ and it will be like a whole new bass.

5. My friend bought a bass and I set it up for him. The bridge was really beefy. the string height was a bit to high while the saddles were touching the bridge. We ended up grounding a few 64ths" off the round saddles themselves with a a drill press and a sanding disk so each saddle would be ground the same amount. This allowed the saddle to sit closer to the bridge and still have an adjustment. It was either that or shim the neck or ground some of the bridge plate. Anyway the whole job took a about 30 minutes. I dont know if anyone else tried this before ,but it worked fine.

6. bpd024

bpd024

Aug 6, 2007
    has anyone here tried switching to higher gauge strings to lower the action. The bass has a lower action but it's not as comfortable as i would like it to be.

thanks for the compliments on the bass the reason its so cheap is because its a made in Korea but has a sound almost as good as the American mades.

7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    +1 on keeping the bridge. I have that same bass and the bridge on it is very solid -- moreso than the standard Fender bridges.

+1 on getting a good setup. That should solve a lot of your problems.