1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz Burnout

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MoSlevin, Aug 12, 2007.

1. MoSlevin

MoSlevin

Aug 11, 2007
    Hey all - long time listener, first time poster ;)

So, about 10 years ago I picked up a 1978 Fender Jazz, and until recently it's been my favorite/prized axe. I say until recently, because after I bought my MM Stingray the Fender's kinda been sitting to the side.

The novelty has warn off, and I still just can't get excited about it- except when I dress up like Geddy Lee and play in front of the mirror (j/k).

I don't know if it's a midlife (quarter-life?) crisis or what, but after ten years I think I'm ready to get rid of the old girl and move on to something different.

I've tried some of the high-availability basses out on the market, and not a lot of them do it for me... Although I always *did* want a Gibson Thunderbird...

I'm also playing a little less jazz and a little more rock these days, so I'd be interested in something a bit more punchy or growly. I'd like to hear some ideas as to some brands/models to try that are outside the standard/traditional brands!

Cheers!

2. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    If you can get your hands on a Rick, you'd probably like it. It has a very distinctive sound and is pretty growly with rounds. Great rock bass, especially if you play pickstyle.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    First of all, Welcome To Talkbass! This probably isn't speaking to your situation directly, but if you can, hold on to your Jazz... Put it in a closet or under a bed... You may not be feeling it now, but I'd be willing to bet that someday, you'll long to play it again! I know for a fact that any bass I've had for 10 years has become special to me and I would miss it.

Yeah, there've been a couple that have gotten away, but two that I really cared about have since found their way back to me, and I won't make the mistake of parting with them again... As for my P, well, someone in my immediate family will have it after I pass. Yeah, I fall out of love with it from time to time, but when I have the hankering to play it again, I am glad that it's within reach...

Just sayin'...

-robert

4. I think everybody feels that way at some point or another with their instruments. If you want something different but still be suitable for rock, you could try a hofner or hofner-like "violin" bass.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Every bassist needs a Fender. You just need a different one to get you excited again. Go get a Precision.

6. Hello MoSlevin.. I'd like to say 'congrats' on your profile.. outstanding, and with only ONE post too.. that makes for a good beginning on TalkBass where protocol is king.. he he :D

Can I discourage you from doing what you are leaning towards? We all have periods where we get rather tired of the same-old-gear and it gets frustrating frankly. However.. until this very day, I'm still upset with myself that I ever let my MIA 1970 P-bass go in a trade way back in '75. Why did I trade it? The useless bridge and the rather high action. Now if I'd just kept that Fender, I could have easily rectified both problems by now completely unassisted. But at that time, I was terrified to attempt even the most minor luthier work.

Keep the bass.. put it away, and in the future you'll be darn glad you didn't let it slip out of your hands. When enough time has gone by, bring it back out.. replace the PUPS with some nice DiMarzio 'Ultra Jazz' or some kool double-stacked Carvin or whatever you can afford to get more of that 'punch' you are looking for.. not to mention a quieter output.

7. get another but i never go without a J

8. MoSlevin

MoSlevin

Aug 11, 2007
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback! I must sound like a guy about to jump off of a tall building, because I think I'm being talked off the roof ;)

I think I'll hold off on selling the J... It's likely I'd end up regretting it somewhere down the road, and I know that pain already- I still feel bad about letting my '78 Gibson RD slip away.

In the meantime I think I'll flog one of my many non-valuable 6-string 'lectrics to make room for something new bass-wise in the arsenal. Thanks for the suggestions of other things to try!

9. I feel the total opposite. I bought a used 2003 MIM Jazz and recently put a set of new Lindy Fralin Jazz pups and did a full sheilding to it. Since then (2 months or so ago) I havent touched my MM Bongo or my Schecter Custom 4 except to take the batteries out of it. Both the other basses are awesome, but I have been playing the jazz ever since.

I say if your thinking about selling it, dont. Later on. you will wish you didnt

10. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I regret getting rid of my first quality bass. It was a Fender American jazz 4. I purchased it new in 95 and sold it six years later. It played like butter and sounded like...like..., a Fender jazz bass should.

I will eventually purchase a Fender jazz bass again. They are great workhorse basses that are good for almost every situation.

Bye now it would have been nice and broken in with plenty of dings, dents and scratches. :crying:

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I second the Ric, and would also keep the Jazz. A Thunderbird? Now that's a growly beast. Have fun in your quest.

12. I would always keep at least one Jazz. You will come back to it. As mentioned above, get a Precision. I constantly switch between the two and never get bored!

13. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I am the same way, my jazz is not doing for me right now but I know better than to sell it. As soon as I do, I'll hear nothing but the Jazz tone in my head and every time I listen to music.

14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I too have my story of regret...

Years ago, I traded in my natural '66 Precision Bass for a Jetglo Rickenbacker 4001. Why? I'd always wanted to play a Rick, I didn't have the cash to keep the P bass and buy the Rickenbacker...and because I was just too young, inexperienced and foolish to realize what a gem I already had... :(

The Fender had been my very first bass guitar - the one I learned on. With a set of half-rounds, it was ideal for any kind of blues, reggae or other type of roots music. And with a fresh set of Boomers, it was a rocker's delight - with all the crisp punch, phatness, attack and sustain you could ever want...

My mistake was in assuming that most bass guitars played and sounded at least as good as my Precision - so that letting it go was no great loss - I could easily pick up something else that would be comparable. It was only with the perspective of years of hindsight that the magnitude of my error eventually became apparent... :eek:

Keep the Jazz. Get a Rickenbacker. That's a great combination. You wont' regret it...

MM

15. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I also have a 1978 jazz and MM Stingray.
    I really like both equally, but sometimes I'm in the mood for the active power and the punch of the StingRay and sometimes the passive natural growl of the Jazz does it for me.
    It's always good to have both! (if you can afford it...)

16. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    If you've been reading this site for a while, you're surely aware that there are only two schools of thought as far as basses are concerned. There's the Fender school (absolutely essential, everyone needs one or more, blah blah) and the school of thought that actually notices the literally hundreds of other brands out there that Leo Fender didn't create, and thinks that just maybe (forgive a terrible heresy here) someone somewhere at some price may have once created a better bass than the Fender....nah, forget I said that!

As far as I'm concerned, those able to leave the Church of Fender long enough to breathe fresh air, recognize that Fenders are generic, middle of the road basses, not bad and certainly not great. You might wish to keep a Fender around in case nostalgic demand causes it to appreciate.

But set into context, a Fender is the Chevrolet of basses. Because they're cheap, they were lots of kids' first cars, and retain a special place in the heart. They have a long history, they have vintage value. They were never fine cars.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What a load of crap! I hate people who think we Fender lovers are under some mass brainwashing scheme by Fender. I used to play customs and I came back to Fender because the other basses I played simply didn't sound as good or feel as comfortable. It has nothing to do with a special place in the heart or any of your other nonsense.

18. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Put a new set of Roundwounds on it. I was VERY close to selling my Geddy Lee jazz, and I put new roundwounds on it (was playing flatwounds) and the bass just came alive.

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mo, if you sell a 1978 Fender Jazz, make you sure you get a fair market price. Seventies Fenders have really gone up in value over the last few years, and you could get enough money to help towards a mortgage, a new car, or the kids tuition. If you don't need to sell ot, hold on, it will only go up in value. Heck, they sound great too!:bassist:

20. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    But, just hypothetically, what would someone sound like if they WERE under some brainwashing scheme? Here's a likely symptom:

Yep, that's exactly what it would sound like!

There are, of course, people who tried Mercedes and Toyota and came back to Chevrolet because there's "nothing else like it." More power to them. But there IS some very real choice out in the world of basses, and Leo Fender created good, solid, competent, affordable basses. He did NOT create God's Own Bass.