1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz cover plates.... again.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bocasfx, Jun 22, 2007.

1. First things first... I've searched. :smug:

I would like to put the pickup and bridge cover plates on my MIM fretless jazz and I was wondering if someone here has done the same thing. Could you comment on your experience setting them up and playing with them on afterwards? Could you also recomend a reliable bass parts internet store where I can purchase them?

Thanks!

2. i put covers on my fender standard jazz fretted, and i love them,
    gives it that real vintage tone, and look.
    i got mine on
    www.basspartsresource.com
    real easy to play unless you play right on top of the bridge PU or the Neck PU

3. How did you drill the holes for the screws? Did you do it yourself?

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I put the neck cover on my MIM Jazz. I took 2 screws from the pickguard and just kind of screwed them into the bass where I thought the cover looked best. It took awhile but I didn't want to risk damaging anything with a drill.

5. SamTheButcher

SamTheButcher Yis, actually. Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    I put some on my MIM a while back, but I play about 75% of the time with 'em off. But every now and then I get that 'vintage vibe', and put them back on. It's not too bad to get used to, but of course it does limit where you can pluck/pick. When I take them off, I put the screws back in the bass. looks fine that way.

MIMJazzcovers1resize.jpg

MIMJazzcovers2resize.jpg

There are no real measurements to use, about the only way to do it is to eyeball them, mark the holes w/ a pencil, and drill straight and carefully. Once you get over the shock of "I'M DRILLING HOLES IN MY BASS" :eek: it's pretty easy. I looked at alot of pictures before I did mine. Try Googling 'Fender Jazz Bass pictures' or 'Jazz Bass chrome covers'. I got my covers at MusiciansFriend.com. Pickguard screws work well. With the bridge cover, eyeing it at approximately level, you can just see the top 2 screws of the bridge pickup. I've seen some covered a little bit more, but I felt the more room in between the covers, the better, w/o getting away from what the factory did. There are variations, so even Fender didn't get them in the exact same spot everytime. Took me alot longer to eyeball them than it did to put them on.

Good Luck!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021