1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 floppy B?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceeprm, Apr 4, 2009.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Hi

Ive just found a used 5str deluxe jazz which I was really impressed by in all aspects except that the B string was a bit floppy and lacked definition. I was playing through a really bad amp which wasn't helping and I was told the bass had just been restrung with Ernie ball slinkies (I usually prefer DR lo riders).
    Would it just be a case of a restring and maybe a pickup height adjustment improve the B string or are they just inherently bad?

This bass has a 5 on one side headstock vs the newer 4 + 1- would that have any effect?

Thanks

Phil

2. I don't think the new tuning peg set up would have anything to do with it. I have an MIM Jazz thats inline and my B-string is fine. I would just try some higher tension strings...that should fix you right up.

Regards,
    Matt

3. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Fender fives are legendary for floppy B strings.

I think that's why so many people were excited about the 2008 MIA 5 string P and J basses Fender introduced. With reinforced necks and higher mass bridges, etc. And much tighter B strings.

You can always tune the B string up a half step to C. That might help.

When I'm looking at a used Fender five, especially with all five tuners on the left side, I'm usually thinking in terms of stringing it E to C.

I can't recall ever finding a used Fender 5 that had a good B string. But that doesn't mean that there aren't a few out there.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I also have a Fender MIA DLX V and the B string is fine! This sounds like a setup issue to me. The wrong strings on any improperly setup bass will sound dull, indistinct or just plain bad.