1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 Pickup/Preamp Options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nagan60, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Nagan60

Nagan60

Jan 15, 2005
    Roanoke, VA
    Hey guys, I'm getting ready to purchase another Fender.....(this will make it my 5th one ever owned). I've owned a 4 String Jazz Deluxe before with an Ash Body and it was nice sounding. However, it sounded slightly thin to me. I was wondering if anyone has tried the following combinations:

SCN Pickups/Aguilar OBP-3
    SCN Pickups/Bartolini NTMB 3 Band
    Nordstrands NJ5F/Aguilar OBP-3
    Nordstands NJ5F/Bartolini NTMB 3 Band

There are a lot of pickups to choose from, but I'm either going to remain with the stock or go with the Nordstrands, I'm also considering the Nord NJ5FS but I'm concerned with the drop off of sound quality compared to the single coils.

Also Lindy Fralins are an option, and I live 3 hours from Richmond, VA where they are made. However, I occasionally like to grind on the back pickups and love the growl of single coil Fender pickups. I know between the Fralins/Nordstands that the low-mids/upper-mids are different, but which one would be the better for the growly growls. Which one also has the better bass that is not boomy but will hit you in the chest.

I also plan on getting a 4 string Fender Jazz MIA 4 string with an alder body, but I want to plug the Fralins into this bass because I want it to emphasis on bass for this particular one. I want the 5 string to be more of a utility bass meaning I can go from growl on the back pickups to basic bottom with both pickups, maybe some p-bassness on the front pickup, back to both pickups for slap bass, to muting, tapping, soloing, you name it. So tell me what do you guys think??? Perhaps there are other preamps as well....but I think I'm settled on those three pickup choices.....a lil open for the preamp. Also.....I'm not looking for high end bite.....more so high end sizzle or clarity. Can't stand high end clank which is one of the reasons I sold my Musicman.....too much bite for my liking (IMO)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Assuming 5's and 4's are same There's reviews in FAQ Dimento J Experiment on the SCN's and Deluxe (with and without ceramic mags).

I like the Deluxe pre (still have one) more so than the Barts or Aggie's I've had (they're gone). I hear more eq variation through th Deluxe.

I think John Shur designed both the Deluxe pups and pre. Also John Shur pups in that experiment.

Only Nord I've had is the MM4.2 and it sounded like the EB MM to me so I sold it and kept the EB.

As far as the growl, lot of factors involved in that but I'd ask the maker - they ought to know.

3. Nagan60

Nagan60

Jan 15, 2005
    Roanoke, VA
    You messed me up with that review.....now I'm leaning towards getting the Barts now.....lol. The only thing is that I would like to have a switch installed so that I can get all three mid frequencies. Seems kinda hard to do with a Fender Jazz.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Didn't mess up if you found something you could use cause that's the point. I'm just sharing my experience not trying to convince anybody of anything. Take what you want and leave the rest.

The switch was a plus, although most of the time I only used two positions. Also Bart has a whole list of frequency mixes you can alter by changing the resistors. I just used the standard ones as they came and didn't play with that - like 4,6, and 800Hz.

Seems the OBP-3 has some switching also but in recall it was in substitution of the mid control not in addition to it. Probably the worst thing about the Bart is space. By the time you have the pre, mid unit, and a battery or two - you've eaten up the space in a lot of control bays if there were no pots.

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    You might want to read my review of the Audere JZ5D preamp installed in my AmDeluxe Jazz 4. No pickup changes and the bass sounds quite phat now! :)

6. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Bushwood Caddy Day: 1:00 to 1:15 Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I just had the new Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders installed in my Fender American Jazz Deluxe V. They made such an improvement! They work great with the 18v active stock preamp as well. It's like a mix between a Jazz tone and Stingray tone! The B string sounds so much better as well!
    Good luck!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021