Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz deLuxe 5 USA, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Oct 22, 2004.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Hello fellow TB'ers,

Some dude wants to swap basses with me. He offers a tealgreen mintcondition Fender USA deLuxe fivestring. I'm offering the Warwick Streamer Bass 1991.

Some questions about the Fender!

The quality of the low B, how is it in comparison with the price?
    Sound of the preamp and the noiseless pickups.

...anything else..?

Please reply, it's a short time period. Any feedback is appreciated!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I wouldn't do it. The Fender's a good bass, but not for a 1991 Streamer Stage 1 5. :scowl:

3. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    He wants to trade for a reason. Keep the German engineered masterpiece and get a Fender (or even better, a G&L) later if you so choose. You never realize what you have until it's gone. IMO.......... :eek:

4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Personally, I really enjoyed my Am Dlx Active 5 while I had it. It was pretty "pure" sounding for the lack of a better word. I really enjoyed it. The only reason I got rid of it was to finance my Elrick 7, otherwise I'd still be playing it!

5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think you'd kick yourself pretty damn hard later for shipping off that Warwick. Save money and pick up a Fender some other time if you really like them. There is ALWAYS a deal or a trade to be made man, pick and choose which ones are good and which ones are worthwhile. This sounds like neither to me.

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had a Fender USA P Deluxe 5, and for a Fender, it was a great bass, and I am a big fan of Fenders as a general rule, HOWEVER, I think the Streamer is a couple notches above on all points. If both basses are in identical physical condition, IMHO, you'll be trading down, and the Fender will be up for sale in 6 months or less.

Regarding the B string, this is where the Fenders are REAL dicey. On a "good" one, for a 34" scale, they're pretty nice. However, if you don't get a "good" one, you'll find yourself hating it. My PD5 was a "good" one, but I wouldn't put it up against a premium 35" scale bass at all. My Roscoe kicked its ass all over the place, which is why I eventually sold the P, and I figure the Streamer is on par with a Roscoe, but I do have to admit I've never owned a Warwick... only played them at NAMM shows and at dealers.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ok, don't kill me, but i love the Am Dlx Fenders and have never met a Warwick i liked... :bag:

of course, i don't know the price diffeence in these basses new, so i have no idea if it is a good trade or not.. money wise.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Warwick is IMO much nicer.

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Actually, this is an important point... the Warwicks and Fenders feel TOTALLY different. I loved my Am Dlx too, but I had other stuff I loved more, and needed cash... GAS... *sigh*...

Anyway, the point is, I've never really gotten much into the Warwicks because of their neck profiles. Just too fat for me, but I do love the Warwick tone. In any case, again, good Adrian brought this up, because if you do go for the trade, and if you like the feel of the Warwick, and don't like thinner necks, it'll be another negative for you on the Fender. :)

...IMHO as usual... :)

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I don't like Warwicks that much, but I also think the 1991 Stage I 5 is worthier than the AM DLX JB 5...

But if you really want a JB to replace your Warwick, I suggest that you first sell the Warwick then get a JB. You will be able to save a few hundreds bucks...

Cheers
    JL

11. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Of course, if you'd rather have a trans blue Fender AM DLX....I can fix you up!

dcr

12. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Alright guys...thanks, in the end I didn't do it. The bass has been sold to another guy. I took your advice in account seriously. The Warwick looks great, sounds massive and why the hell should I swap it for a Fender' piece, which hasn't got that much power?

:ninja: I'm starting to like my Warwick anyway...

13. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    ...all's well that ends well

14. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Your warwick is definitley worth more.

YOu could get a sweet FMT 5 for a trade. But if you are looking for something different, it is always best to selll the bass yourself and then go get what you want. Unless a really sweet trade comes by, which this does not sound like.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Same here, AG. Well there was one Thumb with Barts but that's about it.

I understand people liking Warwicks but personally the chance of me ever owning one is far less than remote. If the bass in question was worth appreciably more than the JD I'd sell it outright or work a trade + cash deal. Simple.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    exactly... if the bass is worth more, i can sell it and get what i really want.. and i would want the Jazz over the Warwick....
    funny thing is, i have heard people play them and liked their tone when others play it.. sometimes... but for ME playing one?... don't think so.
    Great minds think alike, no? :rolleyes: :)

17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Warwicks have a defined sound, I think you like them or don't.

Most I don't like, but I had a corvette fretless 5, with a wenge neck and bubinga board. One of the basses I regret selling, but I replaced it with a pentabuzz, and am doing fine. Thanks for your concern ;)

If he is willing to put up cash, there is your answer. But you should be able to sell it, and get your pick of used AM deluxes. If you go that route, consider the Roscoe Beck 5. Man......the tones!

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah. I mean, I've played a few at shops/shows, and just couldn't get what I wanted, and really couldn't deal with the neck profile. However, the tone on NickelBack's "Never Again" is a Thumb 5 Bolt-On (I believe) and it sounds awesome. Great driving growl out the wahzoo. :)

19. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    nor me.

20. I bet you didn't know that the pickups in today's Thumb-basses and ones from the 90's have the exact same pickups. Warwick actually purchased the rights to build those pickups from Bartolini, and started building them under the name MEC.

Just so you know. :hyper:

Glad you kept your Streamer, De Teng!