Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Deluxe bass bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Aug 11, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, I'm thinking of getting a New Version of the FENDER US JAZZ DELUXE Bass (2002 model). The question is i want to change the bridge on it (Hate stock fender bridges) Can anyone tell me a good bridge to replace it with? Correct size etc.

Does the 2002 Fender Jazz deluxe model sound good for the price? anyone played one?

2. Leo Quan Badass Bass Bridge II

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The stock bridge is a through body type with adjustable spacing. Have you seen it?

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    there is no point to add a bigger bridge to a stringthrough body bass.
    all of the pressure is on the body not the bridge. all of the mass is in the body.

steve

5. KCjedi/S19

KCjedi/S19

Aug 10, 2002
    Florida
    all I can tell you is that the bad ass bass bridge will enhance your sustain greatly and it also will keep your intonation in line unlike the regular fener bridge even though its a hard tail body the bad ass bridge is much better however if your an agressive player I would recomend getting the bridge notched
    good luck
    ~KC

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Are we all on the same page? We're talking about a FENDER US JAZZ DELUXE Bass (2002 model).

I have three JD5 basses, two 97's and an FMT. I've played some MIA JD basses with BadAss II replacement bridges. Still can't figure out what "problem" they address other than keeping you from running the strings through the body.

BTW what's a hard tail body?

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Maybe it works out?

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You'd think it would have a bad ass then, wouldn't ya?

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And a fine one at that!

10. I've had plenty of Fenders, currently a '97 Jazz Deluxe V with J-retro, and I had one with a Badass. I cant discern any difference in sound or anything else. Fender bridges work just fine. It's like the BS with Ibanez monorail bridges....they make no difference, dude!

11. Wow. A lot of anti-BADASSes here. hee hee.

Seriously, I think it's a matter of personal preference. I don't have a very soft touch on the strings. Some would say I have a very hard attack. With the stock bridge on my Fender, I had some problems. Sometimes I would actually cause the strings to come out of their saddles. Instead of developing a lighter touch, I replaced my stock bridge with a Leo Quan Badass. Never had that problem again.

So, if you don't have a problem with your attack, changing the bridge would be pointless. If you have a heavy attack like I do, I would consider developing a lighter touch, or...

...the BADASS.:cool:

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've got a bass with a Badass and one with a stock, thru body, MIA fender bridge. There's nothing to be gained by switching bridges, as far as I can tell. The stock unit is an excellent bridge.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It's not so much that anyone is anti-BadAss, just in my case anti-hype;). Hey, buy it 'cause it's purty but it doesn't address any problem I'm aware of on a MIA JD-type bass.

Given that, I'm trying to imagine how hard you'd have to play to make the strings come out of the saddles on a US Jazz Deluxe which has a through-body bridge. Is that what you have, Bass Mule?

14. No, I have a MIM P. I only suggested the Badass in the 2nd post 'cuz that seems to be the most common replacement for Fender stock. I play pretty hard. Enough to move the saddles around, anyway. The stock bridge on the MIM P wasn't good enough for me. I didn't buy into the hype until I tried out the Badass. I'm a believer, but I realize it's not necessary for everyone.

15. I, too, am a fan of the Badass on Fender basses. My friend has a '98 MIM J that I've played quite a bit over the years - a few months ago we put Bartolini quad-coil pickups in, which was, obviously, a huge improvement over the crummy stock pickups. A month later, we put a BadAss II on it, and WOW. Sustain was a big improvement, and we gained some high-end bite. I can see how many people think it kills the low end - I find it "tightens" the low end - I think of it sort of as the difference between a 15" and 10" speaker, though not as pronounced.

However, this is not a string-through bass - I haven't spent much time on string-through Fenders, so I won't comment there. I suspect the low end gained from a string-through bridge would make a BadAss on the same bass sound positively wimpy. If you are interested in an aftermarket bridge, try to find one that allows you to string through the body. I'm sure they exist.

Anyway, speaking outside of string-through-body basses, I am a light-tough player. My idea of a dream-Jazz would be maple fingerboard, and a badass bridge - i'll take all the bite and articulation I can get, with as little effort as possible.

--jeff

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I agree 100% I've never had a single problem with the bridge on my MIA or MIM Deluxe.

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Also remember, the bridge on the MIAs are different from the bridge on the MIMs.