Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Deluxe MIM upgrade?'s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Dec 2, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Just got an active Fender Jazz MIM. I like the playability it's a nice little bass and the price was too good to pass up, basically cost. I would like to warm up the tone, it seems a little to subtle to my taste. After doing a search I read putting a maple P neck on a jazz may do that a little bit is this true? What would you recommend? I am also going to upgrade the bridge down the road, I heard about a Goliath or a Badass bridge would work nicely but I am not sure which to get? Maybe a better pre amp? I was hoping all you Fender freaks could help me out!

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Another question, if I wanted a deeper tone which would be better rosewood or maple for the neck?

3. Rosewood is less bright then Maple.

The Duncan replacement pups will give you the warmth and depth you are looking for.

The BadAss II will make the bass heavier . I would go with the Gotoh bridge, no drilling involved.

You could always go the J -retro route for a preamp, that kicks butt.

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Treena,

We can always count on you ;) ! That was the bridge I was looking for the one with no drilling involved. I never knew Seymour Duncan made active pups. Would that J retro pre fit right in the pre existing cavity? Also would going to a rosewood P neck beef up the tone enough to warrant swapping necks? Thanks in advance!

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Someone please help, now I have more questions.

6. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    The Gotoh 201 is a very good bridge too. Less popular than the badass but still very nice. You can get one from Warmoth.

I have DiMarzio Ultra Jazz in my MIM Jazz and they sound really nice.

There is a whole jazz bass pickup shootout in the bass player magazine archives. Go look at their web site. It's a comparison betweeen about 15 different kinds of jazz pickups.

If you want to go active, J-Retro seems to be the most popular choice.

And if you just search the forum you will find tons of info on upgrading MIM jazzes. It's probably the most commonly upgraded bass ever. :)

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

My only question is why have this bass when the only thing left over will be the body and pickguard.

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Amen on the Gotoh 201! A Badass costs 60 to 75 dollars and the Gotoh costs 25.00 (no string notching.)

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yep Odie, it's going back to the store, I am not sold on active MIM Fenders's, I'm not sure the American active's sound that much better from what I heard. Thanks for your help everyone I really appreciate it as always you have helped tremendously!