Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender jazz deluxe: samarium cobalt pups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Need some help with jazz deluxe timelines?
    What years did the jazz deluxe come with the big 1/4" pole Suhr designed pups, and when did the samarium cobalt pup run start?

thanks, alan

2. I think they started adding SCNs in 2004.

3. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
  4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    The model you are referring to is an American Deluxe jazz.
    Confusion can arise with MIM models and such...
    Anyway, I'm sure someone knows a lot more than I do on this subject, but I believe there are at least four versions of this bass. Old ones (97, 98, ?) have the Suhr p'ups. The next version was noiseless p'ups (9 volt pre), then noiseless p'ups (18 volt pre), and I believe 2004 is correct for the Samarium ones (18 volt).

5. Suhr pups are double coil right ?

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I believe so...

7. the suhr pickups are side by side humbuckers, the noiseless are stacked, AFAIK

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    So an '04 MIM J5 Deluxe would have SC pups, but is still 9 volt?

9. It would have noiseless pickups and a 9 volt preamp. But if it was MIA it would have an 18 volt peamp and SCN pickups.

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    10-4, thanks...I wish there was a solid road map of the diff's, I get confused:)

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    So what were the years of production for the Suhr pups?
    97-2001?

12. Pocket1

Pocket1

Apr 11, 2006
    is there much of a difference betweent the two types of pups (sonically)?

13. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    They are single coil.

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    97-98 for the Suhr pups, 99-03 for the "noiseless" and 04 for the scn pups. I have had all three pups in one bass or another and of the three the scn pups are the best! They have a greater range and are cleaner across the board, they capture the vintage vibe the best. The "noiseless" pups do have a very good vintage sound but have a little less bottom end than the scn pups. Both these pups have 18v pre's in my basses. The suhr pups (9v) have a ton of bottom and a decent high end (probably the best pre for fender at that time). I would like to hear it with an 18v pre!

basses used:
    FMT V with SCN pups
    Victor Bailey with Noiiseless pups
    98 MIA Dlx with John Suhr pups

15. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    My 2003 USA Deluxe has SCN pu's and an 18volt pre. Sounds light years better than my 1996 USA Deluxe with the fat pole pieces. Also the '03 overall just seems like a more quality instrument.

16. deepfrye1

deepfrye1

Aug 19, 2006
    I agree, I recently purchased a 5 string FMT with SCN an 18 volt preamp, the SCN's are more versatile than the other / earlier pickups. You can get that ole' school vibe or a more modern tone while retaining good fundamentals I also have a 4string FMT with vintage noiseless and I intend on changing the pu's to SCN's.

17. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    does nobody here get bothered by the fact that the scn´s are slightly microphonic ?
    or do i have faulty ones ?
    i have a MIA JazzDlxV with scn´s and 18V electronics (funny, btw, mine is a 2003, DZ3194280).
    i dig the sound, but you can hear my fingers hitting the pu´s (i definitely don´t mean strings hitting polepieces ore something - you can hear my callus scraping the plastic pu housing).
    i contacted the local fender dept. and they said it is normal (?)

cheers,
    lowstar

18. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    MIne are too, but it doesn't me at all. I can only hear it when I'm playing alone.

19. kreed

kreed

Oct 18, 2005
    Singapore
    it's cuz the pups are sensitive i think..i played my church bassist's yamaha with super strong pups..even when i lay my hands down on the strings there's some noise coming out

20. Tonally, The Suhr's are more like a MusicMan instead of the traditional Jazz sound.