Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Deluxe sustain issues?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jun 28, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I've had my American Jazz Deluxe (98 model) for about a month now and I've come to the conclusion that this bass has far less sustain than my other 5 instruments. Right now I have the strings strung through the body which I thought is supposed to give you more sustain. Is this just a quirk with this bass or should I topload the strings for better sustain? I guess I could always replace the bridge with a Badass II like my Steve Harris P-bass has.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own the exact same bass and don't have that problem. What type strings are you using? Dead strings sound like ass on an active bass. I find no need for a badassII on a nactive bass I own. All my basses that can be strung thru the body get strung that way as long as the windings don't touch the nut.

3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    No sustain issues with mine. As you probably know, Fender quality and quirks do vary from bass to bass given the large numbers produced. The one I bought (2002) was the third one I had at home for tryout. That being said, I am totally happy with this one- it's my favorite bass. Pyrohr is correct about string age (and selection) being very important with an active bass, IMO. Mine is strung through the body with DR Sunbeams, 45-65-80-100. I hope you resolve the problem!

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    No issues here. My Jazz Dlx is strung through also. It's probably the strings as was previously hypothesised.

5. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I've got a pretty fresh set of D'Addario XLs on it right now. They are a heavier guage (50-70-85-105); does that make a difference?

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Try a set of 45-65-85-105's and see what happens. Some times you have to find "that string" for your basses. Iv'e got shoe boxes of strings because not all strings work on all basses. Iv'e tried D'addario XLs and didn't like them, I took them back off. If you can find the discontinued "slowounds" try those.

7. Sustain probs can come from a variety of sources, including dead strings, but in my experience, two "causes" dominate:

1. Expectations. Stock Fenders do not have the piano-like sustain of some other basses. If that's what you want, then a heavier bridge like the Badass is an option.

2. Inappropriate set up. Specifically, no relief and/or action too low.

BTW, I have never noticed any difference in sustain between top loading and through body stringing

8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Also try adjusting the height of the pickups. Perhaps they are too far up or too far down and not in the 'sweet spot'. :eyebrow:

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Try getting the bass setup first then go from there.