Fender Jazz Deluxe, USA, 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Well, after months and months of searching I've finally found the bass that I want to buy...am going to buy.

Tried it at my dealer and fell instantly in love. :cool:

OK, the sparkly black body with gold pickguard didn't do anything for me and I won't get that one. But the bass as a model is simply wonderful....I never expected to say that about a Fender, but there we are. :D Everything about it is just right for me and the quality on that example - the neck in particular - was fantastic. Even thought the acives were subtly tasteful and I'm really a passive bloke these days.

The B is quite floppy and is nowhere nearly as good as my Yamaha 5 at 1/4 the price of the Fender. But, in a funny kind of way, I loved the sound of the B. :eek:

Yep. An absolutely superb instrument.

(The salesman commented that my playing had a flamenco style...dunno whether that was compliment or not ;) )

2. I got to play 3 P's and a J 5er, as well as my own J, and all had amazing necks and sweet tone. You can't go wrong with em! If you have the cash, you can also go for the ash bodied model, which just looks really cool. Fender brought the price down to 1699 list from the 1899 it was last year for the MIA Deluxe, which is a definite plus. For a few hundred more than the standard, I see a lot of consistency in this bass, and great tonal variety. Go for it!
  3. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I got one of those.
    Its awesome. I love it to death and death is the only thing that will make me part with it. I just put a set of flatwounds on and wow. All of the vintage yet tubey tone I could ever ask for.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've had my Fender JD5 since Janurary of 2001, and I have no complaints.

Did you play a new model with factory Fender strings? IMO, the stock Fender B-string is awful. Some different strings should help that floppy B once you decide to make the purchase.
  5. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I've had my Fender American Jazz Deluxe V for a week now and I have no complaints at all. Its a great guitar, even with the stock Fender String on it. I'll wait until they get old and swap them for Roto's eventually.

P.S. I also felt the same way about Fender guitars and pretty much stayed away from them never even giving them a chance. Until I tried one. I'm glad I did. :p
  6. Yes. I guess it must have had the stock Fender strings on it. And that was an interesting point really. Some days before I'd tried out a USA Precision and a USA Hot Rod Precision. In both cases the strings felt really stiff...like steel hawsers.

On the Jazz Deluxe, though, the strings were quite bendy (which is how I like strings) and the B and E were tapers ? ...some of the wrapping missing at the bridge.

I have a set of TI Jazz Flats which I'd planned to fit but I'm now a bit worried about the wrapping splitting as the string pulls over the sharper angle when through-the-body strung.

But, yes, a really great bass IMHO.