1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz Deluxe V Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arcieangelo, Aug 24, 2012.

1. arcieangelo

arcieangelo

Oct 14, 2010
    Greetings. Just bought a MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe V today. My questions:

1). I assume if I leave it in Active mode, the batteries will drain when a chord is connected to the guitar EVEN IF the guitar is not in use. Is this correct?

2). If I leave the guitar in Passive mode, will the batteries drain when a chord is connected to the guitar EVEN IF the guitar is not in use?

I realize I could run a couple of experiments to answer these questions but why waste money on batteries when that money could go towards buying beer??

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    That way:
    In active mode (switch turned on) a jack in the input, even with volumes all turned down, you're killing the batteries
    In passive mode (switch turned off) a jack in the input, even with volumes all turned up, you don't affect any battery at all: a passive bass exploits no batteries after all

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Not quite - it depends on the preamp. For example, in passive mode with an Audere, the preamp still draws power from the battery; the switch just bypasses the preamp.

4. arcieangelo

arcieangelo

Oct 14, 2010
    Are you saying Fender uses different preamps (including Audere) in these basses or were you refering to replacing factory pre-amp with Audere (or an external pre-amp)?

For clarification, I was refering to the 2012 model (that I bought today).

5. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    I was responding to the general statement that preamps don't draw power if in passive mode.

Fender doesn't use Audere. I do not know if the bass you have draws power or not when in passive mode.

6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Almost every preamp draws power with a plug in the jack regardless if it's even passive mode.

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I don't know for sure about your bass but my MIM Reggie Hamilton draws current any time a plug is in the output jack. The passive/active switch just routs the pickup signal around or through the preamp. You can run an experiment yourself in maybe 10 seconds without eating any batteries. Get a stereo quarter inch plug. Hook a digital meter between the "ring" and ground contacts on the plug. Set it to measure current. You will get a direct, accurate measurement of the current the preamp draws and now all you have to do is to flip the passive/active switch on and off to see if there is any difference. There is no difference on my bass. You can also measure the battery Voltage this way by setting the meter to measure Volts but there will be some loss of Voltage through the preamp so you will measure slightly less Voltage than the battery is actually delivering.

Ken

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Didn't know Audere had active/passive switches. Never seen one. I've owned several.

Edit: Just checked the site. It's not standard. It's an added option.

As for Fender......I believe it doesn't matter whether it's in active or passive mode....if a cord is in the jack, it will still drain the battery. Take the cord out when not in use.