1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender jazz disappointment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JWP, Aug 25, 2012.

1. JWP

JWP

Aug 19, 2012
    So i waited for years before finally taking the plunge a few years ago and bought a fender jazz american standard with the s1switch. During three seperate sessions...the back pickup died. I opened it up and found a rats nest wiring job...bare copper wire where one of the wires was kinked and really shoddy soldering. This was a brand new model when i bought it. Really really disappointed with the craftsmanship but i love the feel of the jazz bass. Who knows...maybe its time to go bongo or stingray....

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I have a G&L that looks like it was wired by a three year old. If you like the bass, just fix it. Did you find the reason why the pickup cuts out?

3. JWP

JWP

Aug 19, 2012
    Yup...bad soldering joint and bare copper wires touching each other. And yup...completely redid the electronics and all is good. Just never should have had to do it. Love the feel and the flexibility of the jazz...would be tough to give uo...

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The stingray's wiring only appears professional because they jam the pre-amp board in there.

If you're buying on professional wiring job alone, look at a Carvin, even the pro's are impressed with how neat their wiring job is.

Although this would be far from a deal breaker for me.

5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Agreed. Someties I wonder if electronics are installed over a couple beers... I just fixed an Epiphone Ripper today that I hope didn't leave the factory the way I found it.

6. Time to try the Ray? Certainly :) Bongo might go down well as well :)

7. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    I'm a proud owner of a MM Sting5 but I am aswell buying a fender jazz in very near future :)

8. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    They'll keep doing bad quality wiring until the consumers let them know it isn't ok.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yup - it isn't just Fender on this issue... I've seen shoddy control cavity work done on Gibsons, Rics, Ibanez, Music Man, etc... - and have seen pics of it on some fairly expensive custom basses, too... My Gibson T-bird and Music Man SUB5 both needed a little "cleaning up" in their control cavities, FWIW...

I'm not saying I like the idea, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if everything else was to my satisfaction - but I'm also pretty good withg a soldering iron, so it's no big deal to me...

- georgestrings

10. MiJaKo

MiJaKo

Oct 27, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Trying to do more with fewer workers, downsizing, cheaper and less experienced workforce, however you want to look at it.

11. geddy402

geddy402

Jul 20, 2012
    Had a similar problem with a Ric 4001c64. Needless to say I wasn't too happy about it...after I spent over $2k on it...

Ended up doing the cap bypass while it was opened up which worked out well.

12. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    There is no excuse for a $1000+ bass to have issues like that. None. It's a complete deal breaker for me.

13. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Unfortunately thats how it is on any production piece.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

While I agree that it *shouldn't* happen, the reality is that it does... *I* wouldn't get rid of a bass that played great if I could fix any other issues it had in 5 minutes with a soldering iron - whatever works for you, though...

- georgestrings

15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Yeah I got a Musicman that came with a half dead humbucker. How that wasn't caught at the factory is beyond me.

16. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    was looking at a high dollar Fender Select Jazz yesterday that was just absolutely gorgeous, except for the fact that there was a huge gap in the neck pocket, & the bridge was WAYYY off towards the controls as the strings didn't line up with the magnets in the pickups & the G string was almost not over the highest fret on the neck, while the E string there was a huge margin

checked out the Squiers that were hanging on the wall & they were ALL spot on, just don't get it, their cheapest line of basses are awesome, their Select line, while the awesome looks are there, but the above issues = deal breaker

it's like *** Fender ? you're Select basses are BEAUTIFUL, your quality of manufacturing & assembly & QC ABSOLUTELY SUCKS

you prolly oughta send your QC inspectors over to Squier for training, or at least CHANGE YOUR PROGRAM ON YOURE C&C TO DRILL THE HOLES IN YOUR BODIES FOR THE BRIDGE IN THE CORRECT POSITION :mad:

17. Bassics101

Bassics101

Feb 3, 2011
    I have one as well, and the soldering was fine. That is until the neck pickup died and I replaced both with SJB3's. Not as neat when I was through:D. But it is interesting that the same (back = neck?) pickups died. I'm quite happy with that bass. I can get a lot of tones form it. Might need to go to rounds with the SJB3's

18. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Confused. How can the bridge be off towards the controls and yet the E string is almost hanging off the neck?

I am in the minority here, but a) I think the Select tops are the absolute worst figured tops among asses in this price range, and b) I don't see a big neck pocket as an issue; I see it as a manufacturing decision.

Regardless, it sure sounds like you saw a messed up bass.

19. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I think I can one-up this. I bought an Urge I where the treble side of the P pickup didn't work. At least all the strings make noise when half an MM humbucker is dead.

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Not making excuses, but here's a possible explanation:

EBMM humbuckers are actually 2 separate single coil pups contained in the same housing, with jumper wires between them - and configuring them in either series or parallel... It's possible that one of the solder joints wasn't that great, and that the pup fully functioned from the factory, but eventually the poor solder joint failed - basically turning a parallel "humbucker" into a single coil...

- georgestrings