1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz - Does this look legit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lsu921, Oct 7, 2013.

1. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Port Allen, La
    Anyone see anything obviously wrong with this one? The logo looks 70'ish, but it extends past the G tuner.

Attached Files:

2. The logo is all wrong. The large style "Jazz Bass" font should be paired with "Fender" in gold w/a black outline. The one in your photo has "Fender" in all black instead. And the patent info is off-center; they should be centered directly under "Fender".

Plus, the string tree looks wrong, and the tuners don't look quite right as well. I'd be very wary of this one.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    The ' Jazz Bass ' logo doesn't look right to me. Font and placement seems off and it looks too large. Let's see what the TB Fender gurus come up with....

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    several things dont look right, but what is the seller or ?? saying it is ? ... also, have them take pictures with the covers off ... and show both sides of body and headstock

5. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Headstock is not Jazz bass shaped. It is Precision bass shaped. I'll bet the nut width is not 1.5" either.

6. SilGarzaJr

SilGarzaJr SilGarzaJr

Mar 28, 2012
    North Texas
    Agreed - looks like 1.62 at least if not 1.75 width.

7. Probably why the logo looks wrong. The guy must
    have put a P-neck on and changed the logo to a Jazz.

8. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I checked that bass out also. Non-Fender tuners too. It's most likely a MIJ J copy made in the 70's and someone along the way put on the "F" ashtray/bridge cover and the mish-mash Fender decals. It sold for a healthy price.

9. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Port Allen, La
    To me! :help:

I actually talked to the seller this morning, and we are in the process of cancelling the transaction. He offered a 7 day return policy, so this will save us both time as it appears this is some sort of fake or pieced together one.

Thanks everyone for the info. I should have known better!

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah. that neck and logo are not right. Looks like some kind of Squier neck that's been reworked.

11. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Oh.., I was a little surprised that it sold for that price but I figured that was done knowing it wasn't an actual Fender. A friend of mine has a Precor (or some oddly named MIJ J-copy from the 70's) and after setting it up for him and playing it I would have paid that amount w/o hesitation. It is as Fender J as any Fender J from the 70's I've ever played, sounds awesome and other than the neck-plate and abalone inlay name on the headstock - it's a really nice bass.
    But in your case it would be hard to make that call w/his limited pics and info and of course not being able to play it.

12. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Port Allen, La
    Seller offered to cancel the deal now he changed his mind. What's the worse that happens if I don't pay him for it through eBay? NPB strike? Can he seek any legal recourse?

13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    Definitely doesn't look right. Headstock, nut width, string tree and logo all look wrong. I wouldn't pay him.

14. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    If you have it in writing that he offered a seven day return policy then I believe you may have some sort of recourse and he does not. I looked at the ad for the bass and I gotta admit, there isn't a lot of information there. He basically says he doesn't know a lot about it. Perhaps other TB ers with more experience with Ebay claims can offer up some advice.

15. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Port Allen, La
    His listing states a 7 day return policy, which is why I pulled the trigger. I figured I could return it if it was a dud. He also agreed via email to cancel this morning to avoid a potential return hassle. Now all of a sudden he wants to get paid. I could pay him then force a return. He could simply cancel the transaction no cost to either of us, but he's being hard headed. I could not pay and take my lumps with eBay. Not sure how to proceed.

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1
    Most certainly.

17. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Walk away clean.

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Ask ebay to tell him to back off. :eyebrow:

19. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I would make him stick to the cancellation. If he wants to make a fuss with eBay, send them your correspondence with him. For him to demand payment on an item you have already told him you would return under his stated policy, is too shady.

20. It's worth calling eBay on the phone and speaking to someone... I've been involved in several fishy transactions as a buyer and they're always willing to help. Explain the situation slowly and clearly to their helpful Indian staff and you'll get results. They might tell you to open something in the Resolution Center or to wait for him to open something. I've been 'coached' by them in the past on how to deal with a shady transaction. If the seller agreed to refund you and is now going back on that offer, that speaks volumes.

The right thing to do would be for him to file a Cancellation Request and you to accept it so that he doesn't have to pay the Final Value and listing fees, then re-list it. If he's being stubborn and files an Unpaid Item case, you can respond or get eBay involved with your side of the story and most likely get it resolved to where you're not penalized and he's refunded his Final Value and listing fees... Also, sellers can change an Unpaid Item case to a Cancellation Request, but not vice versa.

And, man, there's so many things that are 'off' about that bass...