1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz experts: When did they use Strat-style knobs in the '70s?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ostinato, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I'm guessing 1978-79; I don't think I've ever seen an earlier J-Bass with the skirted Strat-style numbered knobs, but I could be mistaken. :confused:

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    1983 Jazz basses had them.

3. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    I was going to guess maybe a year or two earlier ('76 or '77) until 'the employee buyout from CBS but just a guess.

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The last batch of American made CBS era ones had them in the 80's. 83ish Never seen them stock on a 70's.

5. my '78 does not have them...

6. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I think a lot of owners may have swapped out the originals for the chunkier "vintage" knobs. But I've seen several '78s on ebay and they all seemed to have had the Strat knobs.

7. Joeonbass

Joeonbass

Dec 9, 2006
    Guildford, UK
    im pretty sure it was after '75 that they started

8. Joeonbass

Joeonbass

Dec 9, 2006
    Guildford, UK
    im almost certain it was '76

9. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I'm not sure but I think it was the same time they started the bullet 3 bolt necks in 75 and used until 83. If your not sure if your bass should have the skirted knobs just pull the knob If your bass came with the hex knobs it should be a solid shaft. Skirted knobs should have a split shaft.(assuming the pots are original and you'd want to check the pot codes anyway)

10. Best of my recolection, 1983 Standard Series w/1 -piece plastic pickguard & vol-tone knobs (ie: no metal control plate). Low point for Jazz basses (imo), except they replaced the 3-bolt neck with a 4-bolt

11. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Funny I think my 83 Jazz bass is one of my favorites. Light,great neck,killer tone, no 60cycle humm It will probably be one of my last basses to go. Ya just have to get past that 1 piece pickguard.

12. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Hey now...nice collection!

Damned if that DJ4 doesn't hold it's own in the looks department too. :D

13. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I've owned 4 95 and newer MIA jazz basses. I don't think the new USA Fender Jazz Basses can touch the Skylines, That goes for the P basses too. I just ordered a new Bob Glaub. JMHO YMMV etc....

14. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    That's right...I'll do that when I get it. I hope the shafts aren't ruined if they are the split-shaft type.:meh:

15. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    They didn't last long, which is a good thing, because in my opinion they are very ugly.

16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    if I remember right, I think the numbered knobs reappeared in the early 90's?? ... maybe on the longhorn basses ??

17. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Mine had the skirted knobs with the flying F cap, no numbers. I think that was 89 and 90.

18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Strat knobs were factory installed from 77-83.
    If your bass from this era doesn't have them, then some previous owner swapped them to the old style.

The use of strat knobs also coincided with the necks from the same 77-83 era all having skunk stripes reguardless wether it had a maple board or rosewood board.

-Mike

19. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Thanks!