1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender jazz for rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rubber_ritchie, Mar 20, 2009.

1. rubber_ritchie

rubber_ritchie

Feb 2, 2008
    London
    Does anyone use a Fender jazz for rock music or have any famous players ever done so?

2. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    uh Geddy Lee?

I use a wick corvette for rock, similar setup.
    i prefer jazz style basses they sound more aggressive.

MovingPitchers, zontar and gebass6 like this.
  3. Really?

I think there was a band from your side of the pond, "heavy blimp" or something like that. They had a pretty decent bassist who occasionally played a Jazz.

Sorry, just joshin ya. True answer is tons of bassists in rock have played them. Also Rock is a pretty big area to cover, but they are right up there with P basses in Rock popularity.

zontar likes this.
  4. john paul jones from led zepplin and geddy lee from rush among a lot of others used one. why not use it. fender jazz is just a name.

zontar likes this.
  5. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Um... No I don't think its ever been used for rock music. I mean seriously, Leo would have called it a Rock Bass if it was meant for rock. It's actually a law in the state of Utah that Jazz basses must only be used for Jazz music.

Um... yeah? Who doesn't use jazz basses for rock? Have you never heard of GEDDY FREAKIN LEE?

6. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Haha I love how three people said about the same thing at exactly the same time.

7. Yes. Most bass player who play fender own a P and a J. I prefer a J, so I own a J and P/J hybrid.

Thank you for allowing me to abbreviate everything.

8. what kind of rock we talking? cos yes, theres bassists that play fender jazz basses in all kinds of rock.

this is my playing a jazz bass in metal..
    myspace.com/anthowl

first song is the main one, called 'gutless'

10. WhiskeyMan13

WhiskeyMan13

Mar 11, 2009
    The jazz is a pretty versitile instrument. I mean Geddy uses one, but I guess it depends on what "rock" means to you. I play a jazz (though I'm GASing for a P to compliment it), and I'd feel good playing it for many different styles.

MovingPitchers likes this.
  11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Ohhh yeah, Jazzes can have great tone for rock

12. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Tim Commerford of Rage Against the Machine, Flea of Red Hot Chili Peppers...

These days I think Jazz basses are more popular than P-Basses in Rock. In fact I think that's been true for about 30 years now.

KO

adivin likes this.
  13. I would think that the jazz bass is one of the most popular instruments used in Rock music. In my experience there is little that a jazz bass cannot do.

14. Really... I don't undestand your question, as Fender Jazz Bass belongs to Rock music history.... I think that Rock & Roll Music wouldn't be the same if the Fender Jazz Bass hasn't been invented !!!!

15. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    The Fender Precision Bass is for precise music!

kirillio and Ktop777 like this.
  16. alright, give the guy a break. He may not be a very experienced bassist and is doing what we all did when we started out. Come on, you weren't born with the knowledge of what a Fender bass was, let alone what the 2 pickup one was called. He is testing the waters of playing and finding a tone I am guessing, so lets get him some more specifics so he can hear it. If there are so darn many why do we only have flea, JPJ, Tim whats his nuts and Geddy x 10. Also how about band names with every bassist name. That information may not be a granted for him, and is probably more useful anyway when he goes looking for examples to listen to.

adivin likes this.
  17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Short answer, YES...

18. What about Noel Redding and Billy Cox?
    Weren't they Rock Bass players ???

Jinglesmeowmeow and gsgbass like this.
  19. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Ever heard "My Generation" by The Who?
    Fender Jazz.

20. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Just thought I'd say, the reason it is called a Jazz bass is because when Fender first started making them, they made the body style to match that of the Jazzmaster. hence the name "Jazz" Bass

gsgbass likes this.