1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz (Geddy Lee) harsh neck pick up noise...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Grenk3.14, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Grenk3.14

Grenk3.14

Apr 25, 2015
    Hello All...

I bought a Geddy Lee fender Jazz with passive pickups which has been my dream to own for years. I'm disappointed with the sound though. If I turn both volumes up, I get a harsh "TOCK" noise off the neck pickup. If I turn the neck pick up down it takes it away. My band members nor I can't stand the harsh "TOCK" noise that gets produced when hit hard as it cuts through the music. I'm in a metal band, thus I ALWAYS hit hard. How can I fix this? I love the sound of the bass when I play light. The other thing is, it only occurs on the E string.

Other things to note... This bass is in drop Db. I lowered both pickups and even raised the action thinking it was hitting somewhere but it's not the case. I play finger style, never with a pick. I also play just behind the neck pickup and don't wish to refine my style.

Do I...
    Always play with the neck pickup nearly off?
    Or should I change the pickups entirely?

What do you recommend?
    DSC_0009 (3).JPG

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

First off, contact a mod and move this from "Ask Berklee" to electronics. That will allow this to be seen by somebody who can answer your question.

Now onto the issue, this "tock" noise you speak of, does it happen through every amp? It does not happen when you play with a light touch, correct? Can it be EQ'd out? Are the strings hitting the pickups? What is the setup like, I am talking measurements not feel.

3. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Do you wear a watch on the arm you use near pickups if so it sounds like it is picking up the magnetic pulse from your watch. Try removing watch and see if it stops . I use a watch when working on or changing pickups to test them

4. Grenk3.14

Grenk3.14

Apr 25, 2015
    As for the distance of the strings to the pick, no, they never touch. It is exactly a 1/4". Should I lower the pickup more? The bridge pickup which does not cause problems is about 5/16 of an inch distance. It has the same problem through my Peavey TNT 115 with a second cabinet connected, it also happens through my old Fender BXR 80 watt amp. When pumped through a DI box into PA's at shows it gets worse.

As for EQing it, playing with the tone or bridge pick up does nothing to correct it, The EQ on the amp either accents it worse or dulls it but it's still apparent.

second question, I hate watches and would never wear one. haha

LoveThatBass likes this.