Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz: Geddy vs. Classic 60s vs. Highway 1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jenderfazz, May 10, 2005.

Which bass?

Poll closed May 17, 2005.
  1. Geddy Lee Jazz

49 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Highway 1 Jazz

8 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Classic 60s Jazz

35 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. Of the three basses mentioned, which do you believe is the better choice, overall? All three have similar same price tags. The classic 60s is MIM, Geddy MIJ, Highway 1 MIA but has cheaper parts than a standard MIA (and comes without the hardshell case).

I like the feel of the classic 60s, with its glossy neck and vintage kind of feel. However, I've played some Highway 1s that played comfortably and they sounded quite good. The Geddy is supposed to have a fast neck that may appeal to me. In particular, though, I'm looking at the construction/build, and pickup and part quality. How are the pickups in the classic 60s? In the Highway 1? According to Fender fact sheets they are the same pickups... I've heard that the Geddy has quite weak pickups and many people have changed them out... Any confirmation of that? Overall I'm not opposed to changing out the pickups if needed but this bass will most likely be a backup to my American Deluxe and so if it's good, stock, that's a plus.

Thanks.

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've played all three and I liked the Geddy twice as much as the other two. Construction, playability, sound, it was all great. I would probably change the pickups of a Geddy, but only because of single coil hum. I didn't find them weak.

3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I played a Geddy the other day and it was fantastic, I really need to get one. However, I currently own a 60's classic jazz and it is an awsome bass too. Mine is the Burgundy Mist which I guess is no longer available. The feel and tone of this bass are just incredible for the money. You can't go wrong with either as long as you find one with a good neck!

4. Thanks guys. Keep em coming please, I'm going to pick one up within the next few days.

5. I thought this to be an easy choice. it is your duty as a canandian to get the geddy :smug:

the geddy sig IMO is the best playing and looking, I love those block inlays I wish my P-bass had 'em.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Geddy: '70s kinda tone.
    Other two: more like '60s sound.

Gotta say I love the neck on the HWY 1. It would likely be my choice.

7. Believe me, I'm a huge Rush fan! I'm just not sure if the thin neck will appeal to me... although I like low action and a quick feel. Also, I tend to favor front pickup playing, since I find my Jazz to be a bit too thin with both pickups on. Will the Geddy sound even thinner considering the positioning of the bridge pickup? Also, I hear the Geddy has noisy pickups... noisier than the classic 60s Jazz with one pickup soloed?

Meh, the Geddy still seems like the best choice. I'll go to my local shop tomorrow and compare prices, etc, and get his opinion (I've seen a Geddy hanging but it was already sold so I couldn't play it). I'm going to order directly from Fender, it seems, so I can't exactly side by side the actual basses I'm choosing between. Thanks for your help, but keep comments coming... it's not a final choice yet.

By the way, any comment on any of the above basses and pick playing? I'm playing with a pick very often lately and I know the Geddy has great fingerstyle tone, but how's the pick tone? Forgive me if these questions are useless!

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Only problem with ordering sight unseen is that Fender quality control is, sadly, inconsistent. Better to pick and choose the one you like.

9. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Pick tone's great too, IMO.

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

In my case, I found the straight up DiMarzio J's (DP123) to preserve the tone of the original Fender USA "Vintage" pickups, lose the hum, and have plenty of output. Not as "quiet" as the EMG VJ's, but don't require a battery, either.

I get TONS of compliments on both the tone and playbility of my Geddy from both sound engineers as well as other bass players.

I've played all three and IMHO the GL dusts both the others, but that's also 'cause I wasn't specifically lookin' for the 60's thing... otherwise, dunno... remember, the GL is a 70's style.

As a side note, I have a real nice GENUINE 72 J I "exchanged" with a friend for about a week (I'm putting a pan pot in for him). It has EMG VJ's, but no Badass bridge. My GL blows it away, and even he was amazed.