fender jazz... hard to play???is it true?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by panazza, Dec 15, 2003.

1. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    someone told me fender jazz basses are hard to play... I mean it is difficult to make them sound good... is it true? why?????????????

I just bought a mexican jazz and it sounds lovely
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont see how they can be hard to play.
  3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Basses don't work like that. It's a hard-for-me, easy-for-you type deal. Also, where do you draw the line, extremely hard? Somewhat difficult? Personally, I won't have any trouble playing any bass with 6 or less strings except under extreme circumstances i.e. a 3.6 kilometer neck radius or a missing hand or something of that sort. You just have to try one.
  4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    yeeeeeah nope. I just bought a Fender american jazz with a maple neck and the tone is what I have been looking for for years.
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Jazz's are hard for me to play, because I have large hands. I prefer a chunky P neck anyday.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I also prefer a P but that doesnt really make a jazz hard for me to play, just unpleasent.
  7. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I don't have any problem with playing Jazzes, if it feels comfortable in your hands run with it. It's personal really.
  8. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I'm the opposite! I have smaller hands and a Jazz fits pretty darn good..

I can see how larger hands would make a difference with the smaller neck, for sure.
  9. getting a good sound out of it all depends on what brand it is. they're not overly sensitive to playing style, or if they are not moreso than other basses i've played.

i have large hands and i like a J bass neck more, i never really saw the logic in "i have large hands so a larger neck suits me more", i'd take a thinner neck any day
  10. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    As you have already gotten very good advice along the lines of a Fender Jazz I would just add mine only can't be made to sound like a good bass when played through a Crate amp. Could make it sound decent even with the crate though.

11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have pretty big hands and I like the small neck of a jazz. My Ibanez's neck is even thinner, and it's perfect for me :)
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Any skinny wood neck (such as on the Fender Jazz) is less stable and more susceptible to climatic changes than a thicker neck, thus it is more susceptible to warping, and a warped neck is difficult to play, so in that respect Fender Jazzes might be more difficult to play than other basses. :p

Aside from that it's just personal preference.
  13. i thought the 'jazz' bass was the pups...
    there are loads of basses with thin necks but wouldnt be classed jazz
    and the one you are thinking of
    i have a P/J with jazz neck...its ok to play but i think of it as a P since that is the pup i use nearly all the time..
  14. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    A "jazz" bass constitutes more than the pickups. The body shape, the neck size, the pickups, the control plate, the pickguard, and the control scheme and layout are all unique to "jazz" basses.
  15. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have fairly large hands (I can palm a basketball), but I prefer Jazz type necks... I think it just has to do with what you are used to. My first bass had a narrow Jazz neck.

Precisions and Stingrays feel like baseball bats to me... Can't stand 'em.

16. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    Anyway I wasn't talking about "difficult to play"... I found the jazz pretty easy to play because of its thin neck... it isn't a "hard bass to play"... I was talking about SOUND... those people told me that you need to be a good player to make a jazz sound good... so this was my question... thanx for replying

PS I noticed you were talking about P basses... I tried one and I just couldn't play it because I like to have a neck pickup to rest my thumb when I play... I just can't play a bass without a neck pickup!!! Am I mad???
  17. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    er... I made a mistake.. It's a BRIDGE pickup, not NECK... well you know I am pretty tired this evening..... bye
  18. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Interesting opinion those people have. I think its a crock or crap. I can get tons of sweet tones out of my bass, you just gotta know how.
  19. Hard? Yes, in the sense that I fiddle with the Volume control more than anything else on stage, and that V-V-T configuration to me is utterly idiotic.
  20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Whoever told you that was either trying to sell you something else, has a real problem with Fenders, or is out of his/her mind.