Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Could someone please tell me if I would be better off buying a Fender V Standard and just putting in a J-retro, or getting the new Deluxe model with the 18 volt preamp, my main concern is the B string, did Fender do something different on the new Deluxe models with regard for a better B string, or is the only real diff between the standard and the deluxe in the preamp??

would appreciate help on this:cool:

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I don't think the B string is regarded as great on either of those basses. About the only Fender that has a good B string reputation would be the Roscoe Beck Sig. The differences other wise between the standard 5 and the deluxe 5 is that the deluxe five has 22 frets, a slightly smaller body, and, of course, the active electronics.

3. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    If you want to go with Fender anyway, buy standard model and put a J-Retro in. In that way you'll have 2 basses in one with active/passive switch. Deluxe model doesn't have it. I would sure like to have it in my MIM Jazz Deluxe

4. but you'd want the j-retro deluxe. in passive mode on the j-retro, all you have is volume and pickup selector switch. the deluxe adds the passive tone control. fairly important, in my opinion