Fender Jazz Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Could someone please tell me if I would be better off buying a Fender V Standard and just putting in a J-retro, or getting the new Deluxe model with the 18 volt preamp, my main concern is the B string, did Fender do something different on the new Deluxe models with regard for a better B string, or is the only real diff between the standard and the deluxe in the preamp??

would appreciate help on this:cool:
  2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I don't think the B string is regarded as great on either of those basses. About the only Fender that has a good B string reputation would be the Roscoe Beck Sig. The differences other wise between the standard 5 and the deluxe 5 is that the deluxe five has 22 frets, a slightly smaller body, and, of course, the active electronics.
  3. goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    If you want to go with Fender anyway, buy standard model and put a J-Retro in. In that way you'll have 2 basses in one with active/passive switch. Deluxe model doesn't have it. I would sure like to have it in my MIM Jazz Deluxe
  4. but you'd want the j-retro deluxe. in passive mode on the j-retro, all you have is volume and pickup selector switch. the deluxe adds the passive tone control. fairly important, in my opinion