Fender Jazz MIA OR Fender Jazz MIJ MM Signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lewis7789, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Alright guys, I need some opinions Here. I've got a Marcus Miller signature Jazz that I really like. It sounds great and has decent craftmanship. BUT a friend is selling his MIA Jazz for $500, practically brand new. It needed to be set up and some new strings but now it plays great. But the sound is a lot thinner than the MM Jazz. I adjusted the neck pup closer to the strings but it still doesn't have the big bottom of the MM and the pups seem to pop a lot more when slapping. But the bridge pup tone is incredible and the craftsmanship and sustain are MUCH better than my MM.

So if you had to choose, which would it be? Active MM Jazz with better slap tone OR passive MIA Jazz with better playability and bridge tone?

And for you Fender haters out there, option #3 is for you. Peace!
  2. I own an MIA Jazz (alder/rosewood) and I've played a few Marcus Miller sigs, though I've never owned one. I would have to say that for an all-around sound, I'd still stick with my MIA Jazz. I have my MIA Jazz strung with TI Jazz Flats and it absolutely kills. Lots of bottom, a nice bit of the tight grind from the bridge pickup (as much as I want), and it just fits my hands like no other bass.

If you're a slapper, I'd keep the Miller. If you're not quite as concerned with your slap tone, I'd go for the MIA. A change of strings can make a world of difference, though, it all depends on your tonal preferences (also, whether the MIA Jazz has an ash body or a maple board will probably change things). Best of luck with your decision.
  3. well said lonelyjazzbass.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, I'll go ahead and state the obvious. You NEED both of these basses. Dilemma solved.
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have both basses and they are night and day players. The Marcus bass is active while the MIA bass is not. It depends on what suits your style more to make a decision which is best for you! Both basses do most if not all styles equally well, the only drawback to the marcus bass imho is the pre-amp. It can get harsh if the treble is cranked and is not as smooth as fenders MIA dlx line pre-amps, Maybe because the pre's are all boost on the Marcus bass. All in all the Marcus Miller is still a great bass for what it is, The MIA jazz bass needs nothing and is a plug and play bass! When I go out to play in places I've never seen before I alway's take a passive MIA jazz, It covers ALL the basses! (pun intended!) :)
  6. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I love my MIJ Jazzbass '75.

For me, a jazzbass has to be passive. I don't even think of an active jazzbass, can it be from america or anywhere.

The MIA is a better choice imo than the MM, which is more a special bass than a jazzbass.
  7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Absolutely. Whenever faced with many potentially viable courses of action, the only safe route is to pursue them all simultaneously! This principle applies to gear perhaps more than anything else. :cool:

But you should probably go with the MIA Jazz. If it feels best, you'll naturally gravitate towards it the most. Mine is my number one overall, largely for that reason. If you want active, you could add a preamp later.