1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz MIA vs MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMaster4s, Sep 5, 2008.

1. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Jul 28, 2008
    Wind Gap, PA
    I am in the market for a new Fender jazz, but I can't tell what warrants the difference in price between the mexican and american standard jazz basses. can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    American has better factory hardware and electronics, as well as a graphite reinforced neck.

If you plan on upgrading the machine heads, bridge, and PUP's anyway get the mexi.

3. ESPplayer

ESPplayer

Nov 17, 2006
    Dont overlook the MIJs they are killer and can be on par with the MIAs often

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Truth is, if they feel and sound no different to you, go with the less expensive. But if you play them both side by side, I think you would at least feel the difference.

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    If you're trying the basses in person, and if there is a large enough selection of MIM's, you can probably find one that has better build quality than the others. I'm talking about tight neck pocket, good fret end finishing, flaw-free finish, etc. All the new (2008) MIA's I have seen have very consistently good build quality. The other differences are as stated: better electronics & components, better bridge, better tuners, satin neck finish, better case, graphite-reinforcement, etc. You can probably find a good MIM and just enjoy it the way it is. Or you can upgrade it and make it even better. Or you can buy an MIA and start with the best. It all comes down to money, doesn't it?

6. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Jul 28, 2008
    Wind Gap, PA
    how can i tell which is mia and which is mij?

7. scottbass

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    And, to complicate matters, also take a look at the cost-reduced, American-built Highway One series.

8. scottbass

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    It says on the headstock. "Made in America", "Made in Mexico", "Made in Japan"

9. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Jul 28, 2008
    Wind Gap, PA
    I guess that answer was pretty obvious. I think a better question is which models are available made in japan. also, the highway one series has my interest peaked. anyone have any experience with these against the normal mia fenders?

10. scottbass

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    New Japanese Fenders are not readily available in the United States. You typically have to buy them from an international internet dealer. Maybe someone else can post a link to a source of MIJ Fenders - I don't know any. Because they are not sold new here, there are also very few late-model used MIJ's here in the US.

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    My mid 90's MIJ 75 RI drove every other J out of the house ... It's a killer bass. It even drove my Rumblefishes out of the house ... I have an 87 P (62 RI) that is a MIJ that is equally as good. used, mid 80's to mid 90's MIJ Fender basses rock! I'm not so high on the later CIJ basses. They seem to lack something to me...

12. I own a '08' MIA Fender Jazz V, and have played the MIM Jazz 4 string, I immediately noticed the difference in the MIA compared to the MIM when I played it acoustically. The MIA has major resonance thru the body as opposed to the MIM. The tuners are better, the new bridge is substantial. The fretwork on my is dead on flawless, neck pocket tight as a knat's a$$. Plugged in the pups on the MIA are huge and full sounding. I don't care for the pups on the MIM's they sound thinner. I will say this that the bridge pup on the MIA doesn't impress me, but with both pups on or the neck pup turned full up and the bridge pup turned down a little the bass still sounds great. Also for the most part, the quality of a MIA is all in all simply better. I'm of the the belief that MIA's are put together by people who are getting paid alot more than people working in Mexico, there's something to be said about that. ;)

13. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I bought my MIM Deluxe Jazz 4 years ago and have had a chance to play new 2008 MIA Jazz and I have to say that my MIM is the better investment. I have the active pickups for less than a passive MIA. I didnt notice a difference in feel or sound other than having active pups.

14. Saxomafone

Saxomafone

Jun 20, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I have a MIM Jazz and a Hwy 1 Jazz. No matter how well the MIM is set up, the Hwy 1 always feels a little better. Then there's the wood. The MIM is heavy and yet not very resonant. My HWY 1 Jazz came with a Badass bridge, which I dig, some don't. It's got better hardware then the MIM. Next the pickups. The MIA Jazz or P's I've played are way better sounding compared to the MIM basses; if you are playing through a really good amp you should hear a difference. The Hwy 1 pickups were better than the MIM ones too, but not quite as good as the MIA stock pickups.

I ended up putting Lindy Fralins in my HWY 1, putting those stock pickups in the MIM and I'm happier all around. My HWY 1 sounds as good as any $1000 MIA, maybe better? Some people knock the HWY 1 for the Nitro Cellulose satin finish. I love it, although it's poly underneath. The new MIA's are Nitro Cellulose finish and do have the graphite rods in the neck.

I got my Hwy 1 at a Guitar Center, my buddy bought a P the same day. They were discounted because people didn't like the finish. He ended up doing the same thing I did, he put Creme Color Dimazio pickups, and put the stock HWY 1 in his MIM P and he was happy too.

15. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    H1 are really nice, there is something great on those necks, but i dont like the colors, they should come in oly white