Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz MIM - Custom Color?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Mar 16, 2005.

1. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Just bought this MIM Fender Jazz in 'gunmetal blue'. Haven't received it yet but concerned because I can't seem to find any info on this color. Anyone know if this is indeed a color offered by Fender?

Thanks

2. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I bought the attached fender fotoflame MIM jazz. The standard white pickguard had been replaced, but the rest is original.
    I, like you, could not find any information on others that had been made. Posted questions here and no one knew about it. Hopefully someone will have some info for you, but don't count on it.
    Anyway, your bass looks great to me, and I presume to you too so.. worst case, you have a rare bass you paid standard money for...
    Not so bad. :)

Attached Files:

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Thanks for the info.....and that is one great looking bass! Too bad that there isn't more info out there on custom colors......

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I say cool color.

If you're concerned, you could always look up the Serial number or whatever to check it...

5. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    I know how you guys feel. i bought a swamp ash natural MIM jazz bass at guitar center this summer which was supposedly a GC exclusive. i dont see them around GC anymore and ive pretty much had no luck in finding out anything about it. Im not even 100% sure if it has MIM stock pick ups on it...they sound better and are quieter than any other MIM's ive played and have raised pole pieces on the a and d strings. bass plays like butter:)

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Where did you buy it? Did you pick it up new or used?

Curious is that you have the traditional "Jazz style" knobs it looks like. As far as I know, MIM Jazzes still come with the "Strat-style" round numbered knobs, where all three are the same size but read "Volume/Volume/Tone".

To clarify, are your knobs big/big/small with no printing except for a little white line on them?

7. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Looking at the fender web site shows big/big/small knobs for mim (standard) jazz bass.
    I think this was changed in 2001. I know on the bass I showed in an earlier post, (a 2003), it has the b-b-s varity, but on an 1996 mim jazz I had, the knobs were the same size vol vol tone variety. I like the current ones better.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    How 'bout that? Learn something new every day. I bought my MIM Jazz in '99 or '00 and ended up swapping the rounds for the b/b/s.

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I bought the bass in an online auction and should receive it in a week or so. Looks like the buttons have just the line on them. Pretty cool that the color isn t too common......
    If it looks half as nice as the two basses posted in this thread I will be really happy.

10. I actually have a MIM Jazz that is Lake Placid Blue. It was my first bass, and I have recently pulled the frets out of it. Its the best sounding Jazz Ive ever heard.

11. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    I'm fairly certain I've seen a couple of their guitars in gunmetal blue, at least the name is a paint fender uses.

12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've seen some Gunmetal Blue MIM Standard Stratocasters, but never a Jazz Bass. Maybe the factory decided to toss some Jazz Bass bodies into the spray booth when they were shooting that color?

Anyway, it looks cool! :cool:

13. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    1. I bought a MIM a few months ago (An agave blue Jazz!), and they're using the proper knobs again, and have also gone back to alder bodies.

2. GC does often have exclusive finishes, Electric blue, and natural are some recent ones off the top of my head... didn't see any really attractive pieces of wood in those naturals at my local GC, but hey, its an MIM... Yours does look nice though. If it were mine, id' be slappin some ashtrays and a black guard on it though. Just my $.02 :)

14. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    Way ahead of ya with the black guard lol. I think i lucked out with the wood grain..i did see some pretty horrendous other ones.

15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The thing about natural finish is that you need to hand pick the woods that will look good with that finish. With lower end basses they don't want to waste the money sorting through wood. So, it is possible to find a low end bass with a nice grain pattern, but it isn't guaranteed.

As for the blue MIM, I have no other information, but if it is a good bass then consider yourself lucky.

16. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Some really nice custom colors being posted. I am getting bad nerves waiting for mine to arrive!! Will definitely lose the pickguard for a black one. Heard that you have to look around quite a bit to get one with the right hole configuration. Might be looking to change the pups as well. Will fender 'noiseless' get me an old school jazz sound?

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Looks good in gun metal grey. I have never seen that color on a standard model. Good for you.

Enjoy it.

18. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Check out your new bass Pups before you think about changing them. All I can tell you is my 96 MIM Jazz had horribly noisy pups. Someone would start an elecric razor next door and my PUPs would pick it up. Well not really but close. Anyway, I replaced the stock PUPs with Barts and it was a huge improvement.
    I was expecting to have to do the same with my 2003, but I haven't seen the same noise problem. And the sound seems fuller. I may just leave them alone.
    Has anyone else noticed an improvement in the MIM Jazz standard pickups?

19. I have a fender stndrd jazz bass FMT( figured maple top)-RARE most FMT s' are Flame Maple Tops. Mine was made exclusively for the AIMM (association of Independent music merchants) for there annual show- in comparison to NAMM. MIM w/ color code (500) 3-color burst (true tobacco burst) (Discontinued )brown into a orangish tinted yellow .The finish is polyester- and mine has the neck coated also, unlike all the others. Special Edition Made 02-05/ Limited Production run of 250 Worldwide. I'd love to know where the other 249 are"?? I cant track this bass to find out , how many are still around and where they're at.I'd like to know what the value becomes of this bass, due to the rarity, availability,and quality of it. It's the best sounding bass I ve ever used in the studio/live, and I had everything from Ernie Ball musicman's to Gene Simmons' Punisher-and they dont even compare. I'd put it up against any american made-and I would challenge the most discriminating ear to tell me the difference in sound- thats what matters in "the BOTTOM LINE" not the playability- its the tone/sound you deliver is ALL that counts! long live metal--

20. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Must ....... see.........photo.........please! Sounds like a great find.

Funny thing happened to me while reading this month's bass guitar magazine. There is a feature on a female bassist with a band called the Subways and wouldn't you know it, she is standing there with a gunmetal blue jazz bass like mine. She looks a hell of a sight better holding that bass than I do. It was pretty cool to see your middle of the road bass in a magazine. I saw one other for sale on Epray. The seller said he'd purchased it new from a shop and was told Fender made a run of 1000 of them. At the end of the day, I like the color but the sound and playability are what counts. I ended up swapping the pups for a used set from an American made jazz. It sounds much better now.